Senior Member of Technical Staff
- Palo Alto, CA
The VMware Engineering Services team ensures our internal and external customers enjoy a high-quality experience across the entire product portfolio. Our goal is to provide compelling, innovative, scalable, and seamless engineering services, which will protect VMware's brand reputation by continually improving customer satisfaction. We bring together key R&D functions such as build, performance, security, release management (and more), which frees up R&D business units to focus on product innovation. Our priorities include investing in R&D talent, sharing best practices, and driving scale and agility in VMware products.
Job Role and Responsibility
As a member of VMware's Performance Engineering team, you will drive scalability and performance VMware's management suite of products, that consists of vCenter Server (VC) and emerging cloud management software. You will learn in-depth about the existing solutions and products, new upcoming technologies and hardware trends. You will develop solutions to improve performance and scalability, write benchmarks to evaluate performance and identify and root cause performance issues. You will also be working with various cross functional teams with the opportunity to research ways to stress next generation software architectures for performance and cloud scale. You will have the opportunity to innovate in multiple ways.
- Study workload characteristics to create a balanced suite of performance workloads
- Develop standard benchmarks for performance measurement
- Develop and automate performance measurement and data analysis tools
- Develop performance diagnostics tools in the products
- Analyze product performance and scalability across a variety of hardware and software configurations
- Develop sound methodologies for accurate performance comparisons
- Understand the products in depth to be able to identify bottlenecks in code/design/architecture
- Root-cause performance problems and implement solutions to resolve them
- Work with customers/partners to root cause and resolve performance issues
- Publish research papers and product performance technical papers
Strong background in computer architecture and operating system internals
- Strong programming skills in Java.
- Expertise in scripting language - Python or Go
- Strong analytical, diagnostic and problem-solving skills with the ability to work independently and work collaboratively in a team environment
- Strong written and spoken communication skills
- Bachelor's or Master's degree in computer science or engineering
Experience in performance measurement and analysis
- Experience in performance benchmarking of distributed applications
- Experience in cloud management or microservice architecture and related technologies like Docker, Kubernetes etc.
- Experience in virtualization technologies including hypervisors, and virtual machines
- Experience with application profiling tools such as Yourkit/JProfiler/Jprobe or Zoom/xperf
- Experience in databases, storage and/or networking
Back to top