Senior Java Software Engineer
- Sofia, Bulgaria
Why will you enjoy this new opportunity?
Are you a software engineer who always want to be proud of projects completed? Do you like to apply your analytical skills and software architecture insight in the design of technical solutions to the highest level of engineering excellence? Do you have a passion for cloud-native development?
In our fast pacing industry, technologies come and go, frameworks come and go, but what is always to stay is the aspiration to be on the cutting edge. If you are a software engineer always trying to be on the cutting edge of software development, who likes to have the broader view of the software architecture of the system subject to development, who prefers to overcome technical challenges and design elegant technical solutions, then your place is in our team.
Our team is truly global and responsible for critical systems for VMware. No matter the team diversity, what is common to us is the friendly atmosphere and willingness to help each other when needed.
What is primary need, technical challenge, and/or problem you will be responsible for?
We are looking for a software engineer, who will develop and extend various systems we have in our portfolio. One of the main responsibilities will be to modernize the architecture of some of the legacy portals used actively by VMware and customers. And by modernizing we mean complete architecture revamp of these portals. We plan for re-developing these systems based on microservices architecture and utilizing modern cloud-friendly frameworks like Spring, Spring Boot, Spring Cloud. We expect you to be comfortable with these technologies and have an active role in technical designs for the new architecture.
The second possible area of work shall be extending the functionality of the current SaaS IT platform for subscription management and billing. SaaS IT platform is based on microservices architecture and is a process of evolution to enable VMware flexible schemes for customers to subscribe and use our new SaaS-based products.
Success in the Role: What are the performance goals over the first 6-12 months you will work toward completing?
Working with the IT development team and understand the business domain and technical architecture of targeted for revamp system within 2 months.
Work independently on epics from within 3 months.
Provide constructive feedback to proposed architectural decisions, design technical solutions, and document designs within 6 months.
Mentor junior members of the team within 6 months.
What type of work will you be doing? What assignments, requirements, or skills will you be performing on a regular basis?
Work actively with software architect and product owner/BA to analyze the requirement.
Design and technical solutions to stories and epics part of sprint or release scope.
Provide a forecast for efforts needed to implement stories and epics.
Implement user stories and epics following CI/CD pipeline.
Ensure code unit test coverage of the developed or modified module.
Ensure the quality of the developed module by doing integration testing or working actively with the QA team.
Required Skills and Experience:
- BA/BS in Computer Science or related field, or equivalent experience
- 6+ years of software development experience
- Experience with Microservices development
- Experience in Spring Framework, Spring MVC, Spring Boot, and Hibernate / JPA
- Java EE experience including REST services, Web Services, and/or other remoting technologies
- Working knowledge of software engineering principles, design patterns, and commercial product development practices
- Use of integration applications (e.g., RabbitMQ, Kafka, SOA, etc.)
- Familiar with DevOps processes
- Must be a highly motivated individual who is willing to take on challenging initiatives and can work both independently and with others as a team
- Hard-working with a "can do" attitude
- Ability to communicate at all levels of an organization and across diverse cultural and linguistic barriers
- Ability to quickly adapt as the organization evolves
- Knowledge of any of Cloud Foundry/Kubernetes/Docker
- Experience with an RDBMS such as Oracle/MySQL/MS SQL Server
- Experience with no-SQL databases like MongoDB
- Experience with Angular
- Familiar with Agile/SCRUM development methodologies
What is the leadership like for this role? What is the structure and culture of the team like?
This role will report to Plamen Petkov, Senior Manager R&D. Plamen has over 20 years of experience developing IT systems and software products, and last more than 10 years of leading software development teams. Plamen is over 2 years with VMware. Previously he has been Development Manager and Software Engineer for companies like Experian, Raiffeisen Bank, Rila Solutions, UNISYS. Plamen is also teaching at Sofia University.
Plamen's leadership philosophy is that team must work in a comfortable and conflict-free environment to foster a culture of innovation. Each team member must feel free and like the project, he/she is working on. Each team member must be able to innovate and propose innovative solutions to the team.
What are the benefits and perks of working at VMware?
You and your loved ones will be supported with a competitive and comprehensive benefits package. Below are some highlights, or you can view the complete benefits package by visiting benefits.vmware.com
- Attractive compensation package - competitive salary, flexible bonus scheme, company sponsored mobile phone plan and additional long-term incentives.
- Medical Coverage, Retirement, and Parental Leave Plans for All Family Types
- Generous Time Off Programs
- 40 hours of paid time to volunteer in your community
- Rethink's Neurodiversity program to support parents raising children with learning or behavior challenges, or developmental disabilities
- Financial contributions to your ongoing development (conference participation, trainings, course work, etc.)
- Healthy and local inspired snacks in all our pantries
VMware is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: VMware is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at VMware are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. VMware will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. VMware encourages applicants of all ages. VMware will provide reasonable accommodation to employees who have protected disabilities consistent with local law.
Back to top