Senior Global Compensation Consultant (Sales focus)
VMware's Compensation model focuses on empowering people managers to be self-sufficient with compensation analysis and decision making. The Compensation Consulting team focuses on two primary areas: 1/Business Consulting - working on strategic initiatives to assess and develop strategies and programs to address new business needs and 2/Management Consulting where Comp consultants provide more traditional comp analysis and program support to HR Management Partners to assist them in supporting their client groups.
- Manage portfolio of compensation projects including pay and bonus program consulting support, balancing resources to ensure the highest priority strategic work is tackled first while compliance and other standard work is managed appropriately
- Collaborate with Comp Programs and Operations to drive change management initiatives holistically from the executive staff, HR Business and Management Partners, Managers, and employees. This includes aligning roles and responsibilities of various HR teams to provide leadership support as one unified HR team.
- Partner with Exec and Equity Comp team to provide input to program development, and consulting back-up support
- Provide comp consulting advice to top leadership team members based on deep subject matter expertise.
- Provide guidance and expertise on sales commission plan design and other sales comp areas
Job Role and Responsibility
As a member of the Global Compensation Consulting Team reporting to the Compensation Consulting Director, you will provide strategic, consultative, technical and analytical advice to colleagues in HR, Sales Operations, Finance and the business, and will be responsible for a broad range of compensation projects. This is both a strategic and operational role which requires the ability to both present and discuss strategic HR topics and to perform detailed and technical analysis.
- Contribute to the determination of the global compensation strategy for VMware and design of compensation programs.
- Maintain close partnership with the Global Sales Compensation Team (Global Sales Operations) who own sales compensation plan design and plan terms and conditions.
- Assess the degree to which VMW sales plans are engaging, performance-driven and strategically aligned. Understand VMW sales model for growth and go-to-market strategy. Engage with VMW leadership team to gain a cross-functional perspective on sales force effectiveness, and the role sales compensation should play in helping to achieve strategic goals.
- Represent the HR Comp team in projects focused on sales org transformation, regarding sales job design and/or sales compensation
- Create and present comprehensive analysis to assess compensation issues in the business and provide market competitive and business aligned solutions using internal and external benchmark data sources.
- Give appropriate advice to ensure the integrity of job and grade architecture and pay ranges; and manage job and pay mix guidance
- Participate in Compensation, HR and business projects as required.
- Influence other functions including HR Partners, Executive Compensation, Sales Operations and Finance by partnering on a variety of compensation related projects and issues.
- Represent the team in cross-functional meetings and other forums, providing back-up coverage for the team leader or team members as applicable.
- Collaborate closely with other compensation team members to share knowledge and creative solutions to ensure consistent advice to the business.
- Provide guidance, advice, analysis and training in connection with sales compensation policies, plans, and job design.
- Understand how sales incentive systems and processes are used so that program administration abilities are considered in the plan design phase.
- Bachelor's degree in Business or related area.
- Up to 8yrs. of compensation consulting experience, including sales comp and international compensation challenges.
- Understanding of the challenges of a software sales organization, including business transformation, customer markets, product/service offerings, sales channels and the nature of jobs covering these channels, sales management programs and tools, territory design and quota allocation.
- Experience working with sales compensation program design, competitive market analysis, forecasting trends/costs and modeling outcomes
- Advanced Excel modelling expertise, and preferably experience using Workday or similar
- Strong attention to detail, financial, business, and analytical acumen, intellectual curiosity, creativity
- Strong understanding of business processes.
- Consulting experience: Able to quickly evaluate complex client issues and demonstrate experiences in solving business challenges with analytic solutions. Able to lead through influence
- Strong presentation and communication skills with the capability to present recommendations to a senior exec team. Ability to articulate and distill complex issues and concepts to non-technical audiences.
- Demonstrated ability to evaluate, design, and recommend market competitive solutions aligned to business strategy.
- Extensive experience partnering with compensation survey and consulting firms. Able to take ownership for identifying new and unfamiliar contacts and resources. Able to build contacts and network effectively to achieve deliverable.
- Ability to investigate compensation issues thoroughly and drives issues through to resolution. Applies knowledge of compensation policies and procedures to recommend and implement solutions.
- Strong team orientation with collaborative style, which engages stakeholders and leads to good decisions.
- Ability to see the big picture, represent beyond specific area of expertise, and identify the right path to achieve objectives.
- Advanced degree in business or related area
- Previous SaaS company experience is a plus.
This job requisition is not eligible for employment-based immigration sponsorship by VMware.
VMware is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: VMware is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at VMware are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. VMware will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. VMware encourages applicants of all ages. VMware will provide reasonable accommodation to employees who have protected disabilities consistent with local law.
Back to top