Senior Frontend Engineer
Are you an experienced Software Engineer looking for new challenges? At VMware we are looking for a talented Frontend Engineer to be focused on our current and future public sites. You will become an important piece within the Bitnami Public Services Engineering R&D team, part of the Modern Applications Platform group.
What is the primary need, technical challenge, and/or problem you will be responsible for?
You will work in our current products that are used by millions of people, such as https://bitnami.com, https://docs.bitnami.com and https://google.bitnami.com, and you will help us to develop and ship the user interfaces of the new ones. In addition, due to the nature of the projects the team is accountable for, you will have the chance to collaborate with some Backend tasks. In that sense, some knowledge/experience on Backend technologies will be appreciated, although it is not required. Your new team will help you to learn everything you need on the Backend side.
Our core tools are React, Redux, SASS and Webpack. If you don't know any of these technologies, you can take this as an opportunity to learn. For us, it is more important a person that knows how to develop clean and accessible HTML, CSS and JS code than the frameworks and tools.
What type of work will you be doing? What assignments, requirements, or skills will you be performing on a regular basis?
In a typical day, you would take care of polishing UI pieces and develop a well-structured and accessible HTML, CSS and JS code. Testing is also important for us, so you will spend time on adding and improving tests. Also, you won't be alone. Your team will be happy to collaborate with you and help each other.
If you join the team, the first goal would be to assume and deal with the website and UI tasks. Then, to proceed with the improvement of some parts, to build user interfaces that simplify complex processes to make them accessible for any person and more efficient in terms of maintenance. You should become the reference in terms of Frontend technologies within the team, therefore you should enjoy mentoring others as much as learning from them.
- Develop a well-structured and accessible HTML, CSS and JS code.
- Create React components to compose different UIs.
- Add and improve the project test suites. We usually work with Jest.
Contribute to our Git repositories. We use a Git-centric workflow to develop, test and deploy our sites.
- Collaborate with the team to find solutions.
- Review other changes in the code. We are open to discuss anything so all of us can learn.
- Communicate their ideas, discuss and understand other people in English.
Collaborate, investigate, delegate, fail and succeed
Interested? Here is what we look for in a candidate
- You are a strong collaborator and actively foster safe and inclusive teams.
You are actively involved in team-wide discussions about software best practices.
- You identify issues, resolve bugs and write high-quality engineering documentation.
- You make sure that your code base is testable and tested.
- You enjoy building reusable code and libraries for future use.
Technical skills and experience
- 4+ years of experience in a similar role
- Proficient knowledge in web component frameworks, preferably React
- Knowledge about semantic HTML and accessibility
- CSS: Selectors, attributes and inheritance. Good practices:
Knowing about inheritance
- Any organization methodology like BEM, OOCSS, SMACSS, etc.
Experience working with code versioning tools
- Ability to implement and maintain test suites.
- Ability to research problems (including making incremental progress when faced with technical ambiguity) and break them into discrete parts
Not mandatory, but it would be great if you had knowledge about:
- Backend programming languages (i.e. Ruby, NodeJS, Python, etc.)
Fluency writing and speaking in English
- Ability to work and develop collaboratively in a cross-team environment
This position is eligible for TanzuChallenge referral campaign
VMware is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: VMware is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at VMware are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. VMware will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. VMware encourages applicants of all ages. VMware will provide reasonable accommodation to employees who have protected disabilities consistent with local law.
Back to top