Senior Engineering Manager: VMware Tanzu Engineering Development Team (SaaS, Kubernetes)
- Bangalore, India
The Elevator Pitch: Why will you enjoy this new opportunity?
You will be part of the product which plays pivotal role in direction VMWare is taking with the cloud technologies. Tanzu Mission Control is a new cloud service that is part of the VMware Tanzu Portfolio. Tanzu Mission Control is designed to give customers a single pane of glass for all their Kubernetes clusters needs so they can monitor, verify, apply policy, back-up and restore with ease. Tanzu Mission Control is a foundational part of our Build, Run, Manage, vision and will have a large impact within the VMware family of products. You will be working as a collaborative partner in a diverse environment whose teams care about the products they are creating, how they create them, and the quality of the result. You will be learning and growing your career at the company that values and invests in its employees
What is primary need, technical challenge, and/or problem you will be responsible for?
We are looking for a senior engineering manager with 12+ years' experience in leading software development projects. Someone who has led projects to design and implement high quality, testable, maintainable, optimal and production grade software. Ideal candidate for this role should have relevant background & experience leading projects in Distributed systems, SaaSorKubernetes areas.You are expected to make significant, direct andhigh-qualitycontributions to the product that lead to increased market share and customer happiness. You will be leading agile teams and is expected to understand the business requirements from product managers, review the design approaches with team, plan and schedule various development tasks closely working with teams, resolve issues/conflicts if any and above all own the quality of the software developed in the process. In this role you need to hire, manage and mentor a team of software development engineers. You need to work with engineering, product manager, operations and other stakeholders to help deliver and support quality software. You will be working with recruitment team to attract and retain high quality talent. You are also expected to define development best practices / standards and optimize on execution front to help build and lead a high performing team working on Tanzu Mission Control area.This role will provide opportunities to work across the organization and will be a catalyst for technical and professional growth.
Success in the Role: What are the performance goals over the first 6-12 months you will work toward completing?
- Team building: Managing a high performing & motivated team helping address Tanzu Mission Control business priorities on a regular basis
- Team Development: Ensure the development and coaching of your team, providing timely and professional feedback, and working on career plans to support and nurture each team member's growth
- Collaboration: You will be collaborating with and building relationships across product, engineering and customer support teams
What type of work will you be doing? What assignments, requirements, or skills will you be performing on a regular basis?
As part of the VMware Tanzu Engineering Development Team, you will:
- Leading on efforts towards developing and sustaining VMware strategic SaaS offering for managing Kubernetes clustersfollowing agile methodologies
- Identifying opportunities to improve efficiency of overall development methodologies and processes
- Assigning and prioritizing work for engineers in team
- Partnering closely with Product, Engineering & Support teams to ensure seamless integration with product roadmap delivery schedules
- Advocate for the team by moving decisions forward and eliminating blockers
- Effectively communicates verbally and through documentation to internal and external stakeholders
- Lead and motivate engineers, aid in career development and foster a positive organizational culture
- Ability to lead not only at the strategic level, but also tactically day-to-day by diving deeply into business and technical domain
What is the leadership like for this role? What is the structure and culture of the team like?
The hiring manager for this role is Ashok Venkiteswaran, Director, Tanzu Mission Control. His expertise was built through involvement in leading software development & test projects across various technology organizations for past 24 years out of which the last 8 years is that of working with VMware. His management philosophy is to create flexible, inclusive and a learning work environment where people can achieve their best results and career goals. He does this by hiring a right skilled team, creating a learning work environment promoting good teamwork and a rewarding culture. He provides the best of opportunities for engineers and provide required guidance and mentoring for engineers in his team to grow further in their career. Ashok's team is made up of self-starters, who have a passion for technology and getting things done.
This position is eligible for JoinTanzuIndia referral campaign
VMware is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: VMware is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at VMware are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. VMware will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. VMware encourages applicants of all ages. VMware will provide reasonable accommodation to employees who have protected disabilities consistent with local law.
Back to top