Senior Engineer - Tanzu Kubernetes Grid
- Los Angeles, CA
The Elevator Pitch: Why would you enjoy this new opportunity? Enterprises are running mission critical software in more places than ever before -- in their datacenter, hybrid cloud, public cloud, and at the edge. In order to catalyze Enterprise transformation through software, VMware envisions a world where Kubernetes is as available as a utility - like electricity - customers need to deploy a consistent Kubernetes grid across all their operational environments. Tanzu Kubernetes Grid (TKG) provides Enterprise organizations with a consistent, upstream compatible, Kubernetes substrate across SDDC, Public Cloud, and Edge environments that is ready for end-user workloads and ecosystem integrations. TKG builds on trusted open source and community projects and delivers an engineered and supported Kubernetes platform for end users and partners.
What is the primary need, technical challenge, and/or problem you will be responsible for?
As a senior engineer you will join a team of highly motivated engineers and deliver new innovations in a highly differentiated container management control plane. You are part of the Tanzu Kubernetes Grid product control plane team, responsible for Tanzu API development, partnering closely with development managers, product managers, developers. With this role's emphasis on development, your proven software development background with experience in the successful delivery of high-quality software projects will reflect in this role's day-to-day. If you are highly technical, detail oriented with focus on implementation excellence as well as have Kubernetes development experience (especially with domain knowledge of K8s controller, KubeBuilder) using Golang, this team and product is for you.
Success in the Role: What are the performance goals over the first 6-12 months, you will work toward completing? As a senior engineer, we expect you:
- Develop a production level good quality code in the API team
- Ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously
- Ability to discuss and provide architectural and technical opinions to a team of highly skilled engineers
- Good grasp on K8s controller and KubeBuilder
- Be able to work in a distributed team across multiple geographical location with an excellent communication and documentation skills
What type of work will you be doing? What assignments or requirements will you be performing on a regular basis?As a senior engineer you will:
- Code in Golang for TKG API and also include unit test, functional test and end to end test code to ensure the production level quality in a CICD process
- Participate end to end system design, write a design spec and get it reviewed with product managers and the architects group
- Collaborate with Product manager, engineers, release and testing engineers in a distributed big team
What is leadership like for this role? What is the structure and culture of the team like? The hiring manager for this role is Maggie Cai, Sr. R&D Manager. Maggie has been at VMware for more than 8 years, worked on many VMware products like ESXi, vSphere, VMware Cloud Foundation and the new Tanzu Kubernetes Grid. Maggie manages several development teams now, including both front-end and backend engineers, responsible for extension services on top of Kubernetes offerings and the Tanzu Kubernetes Grid control plane.
What are the benefits and perks of working at VMware?You and your loved ones will be supported with a competitive and comprehensive benefits package. Below are some highlights, or you can view the complete benefits package by visiting www.benefits.vmware.com.
- Employee Stock Purchase Plan
- Medical Coverage, Retirement, and Parental Leave Plans for All Family Types
- Generous Time Off Programs
- 40 hours of paid time to volunteer in your community
- Rethink's Neurodiversity program to support parents raising children with learning or behavior challenges, or developmental disabilities
- Financial contributions to your ongoing development (conference participation, trainings, course work, etc.)
- Healthy and local inspired snacks in all our on-site pantries
VMware is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: VMware is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at VMware are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. VMware will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. VMware encourages applicants of all ages. VMware will provide reasonable accommodation to employees who have protected disabilities consistent with local law.
Back to top