Senior Director, Finance
- Palo Alto, CA
The Global Business Unit Finance Group provides financial leadership to the business groups in VMware's product and operations organization (aka Business Units) and aligns to our current priorities of Software Defined Data Center (SDDC) and End User and Mobile Computing.
Job Role and Responsibility
The Sr Director for the Cloud Management portfolio will have responsibility for ensuring strategic and financial success in one of VMware's priority businesses. Working closely with the General Managers for Cloud Management portfolio, you will play a significant financial and business leadership role. You will oversee portfolio management across the full P&L, including R&D, marketing and close coordination with a specialist sales organization. The key responsibilities include providing strategic and financial leadership to transition perpetual business to subscription business model and ensuring a balanced portfolio while prioritizing and making the necessary trade-offs to scale a rapidly growing cloud/SaaS business. This role will provide financial leadership to CMBU, Cloud Health technology is part of the portfolio.
- Maximize long-term shareholder value of the Cloud Management Portfolio
- Partner closely with the GMs and drive transition to subscription business model
- Lead the business units annual budget planning process including full BU P&L, commitments,
- and investment portfolio trade
- Manage the monthly forecasting process, including preparing and analyzing both the monthly forecast along with the current quarter and twice per year, the projections for six quarters out
- Lead the analytics for the portfolio review, with ROI analysis, product life cycle management and balanced portfolio optimization
- Through ROI methodology, ensure return is maximized and risk is minimized when evaluating all investments across the portfolio
- Effectively work across the operations finance team to ensure everyone is working towards the same goal, improving productivity
- Develop financial models and analyses to support strategic initiatives
- Participate in operations reviews to ensure both short-term budgets and long-term plans are on track
- Provide leadership for managing all merger and acquisitions activities within this area of the business, including target identification, due diligence, financial valuation, and post-acquisition integration
- Attract, develop and retain outstanding financial management talent.
- Acquiring an intense understanding of VMware's business today, and keen insights into where it is going in the future allowing for innovative concepts and promoting new ideas.
- 12 to 15 years of related experience in a senior financial role
- Undergraduate degree in finance or similar.
- Deep knowledge of cloud economics and experience in driving subscription business transition and implementing best practices.
- Experience implementing significant process and technology improvements, experience integrating acquisitions, significant functional experience specifically of finance operations in a "large" public company (preferably multinational) environment, and strong knowledge of US GAAP and SEC compliance.
- Ability to provide sound business judgment, strategic thinking, and broad financial and business perspective across the organization
- Outstanding financial acumen blended with business partnership and leadership
- Confidence and presence collaborating with and presenting to executive staff
- Experience managing, growing, and developing finance organizations to the highest level of performance
- Ability to identify, hire, and develop new talent
- Ability to sort through complex issues, translate and communicate them in a clear, concise manner and develop appropriate solutions in a timely and responsive manner
- Ability to credibly achieve results through influence and persuasion
- Demonstrated track record of attention to detail, time management and prioritization skills
- Ability to challenge the norms and processes and relentlessly looks for ways to add value and to position the organization for success
- A proven track record of process improvement and experience with financial systems and process change initiatives
- A highly metrics-driven individual with a strong analytical abilities
- MBA or advanced degree
- Act like it is your own company
- Set out a vision and establish priorities
- Have courage and take risks
- Hold yourself and others accountable
- Have passion for the business
- Be humble and listen
- Solve problems and deliver results
- Develop your people
- Be in the moment!
- Be an ambassador for the CFO organization
"This job opportunity is not eligible for employment-based immigration sponsorship by VMware"
VMware is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: VMware is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at VMware are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. VMware will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. VMware encourages applicants of all ages. VMware will provide reasonable accommodation to employees who have protected disabilities consistent with local law.
Back to top