Senior DevOps Engineer - Professional Services
VMwareProfessional ServicesWorldwideCenter of Engineering (WW CoE) designs and builds integrations and automation of VMware and third-party products into complete solutions and develops additional capabilities to existing products. Our solutions frequently become the backbone of private and public clouds of global enterprises.
As part of the Worldwide Center of Engineering organization, you will be part of a best-in-class global team and working on enterprise-grade projects with other talented and passionate experts in customer-oriented teams.
What is a Typical Day?
As a seasoned Senior DevOps Engineer, you will be involved in the software engineering process by supporting the global cross-functional team with designing, deploying, configuring, and maintaining internal and external environments, tools, and toolchains for CI/CD, as well as releasing, testing, and deploying code to customer environments. Depending on the project type, you might be working on several small to medium-size projects simultaneously or on a single bigger project. You will be communicating directly with customers, development team, partners, and stakeholders, facilitating and supporting smooth provisioning, setup, code releases, deployment, configuration, automated testing, and verification on customer environments.
Day to day you would:
- Participate in pre-sales activities to identify and scope the system engineering needs of software development projects.
- Take part in internal and external meetings as a resource and subject matter expert to project managers and technical leaders. Collaborates with and consults end customers, partners, and software development teams.
- Prepare technical documentation for project delivery and execution - designs, diagrams, and operating procedures needed for internal communication or customer onboarding.
- Architect, build, and maintain internal environments, tools and CI/CD pipelines to support software development and testing processes.
- Deploy and configure VMware and third-party products and tools following product documentation.
- Facilitate building, setting up, configuring and integrating tools and platforms to accomplish the test strategy.
- Assist with releasing software to customers.
- Deploy and configure software packages to customer environments.
- Work with customers on user acceptance testing. Triage, report, track, and follow up on issues until resolution.
- Contribute to and follow best practices in terms of information and configuration management.
- Troubleshoot and resolve issues impeding the software development process.
- Management of customer expectations. Driving stakeholder's alignment
- Monitor, control, and report on the system engineering process.
- Participate and optionally manage regular reviews and continuous improvements.
What would you need to be successful?
- Solid understanding of the software development, testing and system engineering lifecycle, DevOps practices, Agile (Scrum, Kanban in particular) and waterfall processes and methodologies.
- 6+ years of strong hands-on system administration experience with Linux/Windows operating systems, virtualization and IP networking (IP, TCP, DNS, NTP, IGMP, DHCP, firewalls, load balancers, and proxies).
- Experience with system engineering/administration/DevOps for product or custom software development.
- Experience with setting up and working with Cloud Native and DevOps technologies, principles and practices like self-service, source control management, declarative infrastructure and CI/CD.
- Experience with VMware technology - SDDC, vRealize, vCloud, or WS1.
- Experience with Bash/PowerShell scripting.
- Experience with configuration management tools, such as Ansible, Terraform, Puppet, and SaltStack.
- Very good understanding of web applications, protocols and technologies - HTTP, REST, SOAP, XML.
- Experience in troubleshooting technical issues across the OSI layers.
- Comfortable working in distributed, multinational, and multi-cultural environments.
- Proven track record of customer management, ownership and advocacy for assuring customers' success.
- Ability to handle difficult or sensitive situations with diplomacy and tact.
- Autonomous, pro-active, and goal oriented.
- Excellent communication skills in English, both speaking and writing.
What additionally would be helpful for your success?
- Git, Atlassian suite (Jira, Confluence, Bamboo, Stash), Ansible, Terraform, Jenkins, and the VMware product suite.
- Experience with design, configuration, and management of large and complex data center infrastructure, systems, and operations.
- Knowledge of German, French, Spanish, Russian, Chinese, or Japanese languages.
VMware Products References:
- Attractive compensation package - competitive salary, flexible bonus scheme, company sponsored mobile phone plan and additional long term incentives
- Individual career path - management and technical career growth, enhanced by learning and development program, regular performance assessment, teams of world-wide IT professionals
- Healthy work environment - company sponsored medical program, food and beverage program, sport activities, open communication
- Work-life balance - 25 days paid vacation, regular team buildings and celebrations
As part of the VMware global standards for integrity you will be required to go through a pre-employment screening process before you join
All job applications will be treated with strict confidentiality
VMware is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: VMware is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at VMware are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. VMware will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. VMware encourages applicants of all ages. VMware will provide reasonable accommodation to employees who have protected disabilities consistent with local law.
Back to top