Senior Blockchain Site Reliability Engineer (SRE)
- Ra'anana, Israel
VMware is the leader in cloud infrastructure, business mobility and virtualization software. A pioneer in the use of virtualization and policy-driven automation technologies, VMware simplifies IT complexity across the entire data center to the virtual workplace, empowering customers with solutions in the software-defined data center to hybrid cloud computing and the mobile workspace.
With 2015 revenues of $6.6 billion, VMware has more than 500,000 customers, 75,000 partners, and 18,000+ employees in 120+ locations around the world. At the core of what we do are our employees who deeply value execution, passion, integrity, customers, and community. Want to be part of a compassionate community that thrives on architecting what's next in IT? Learn more at vmware.com/careers.
VMware's Blockchain Strategy
Blockchain is an emerging technology that promises to change the world we live in. With VMware's vast experience in building highly trusted distributed systems and our background in doing advanced research in this space for several years, we are poised to change the industry's definition of blockchain and what it can do. We are building out a team of highly skilled individuals to help us build this business and change the industry. This is a unique opportunity to join an early business unit team within the Office of the CTO that is building a business from the incubation project that built the first service offering.
VMware's blockchain service is architected to be a multi-cloud, multi-blockchain hybrid SaaS solution. Our team works on cutting edge technology to deliver unique services for enterprise customers wanting to leverage this new technology but need the robustness and performance that they have grown accustomed to in the enterprise. In this role, you will work with a team of talented and focused leaders while leveraging VMware's Research Group, the open source blockchain efforts, key partners, and the broader VMware product and partner community.
About the Role
As VMware continues to advance VMware Blockchain and our Enterprise-grade blockchain service that is based on the Project Concord open source platform, we are expanding our team to meet the demand from our customers and partners worldwide. We are looking for a technical engineer based in Israel to support our EMEA region.
This Site Reliability Engineer (SRE) role brings a customer focused "passion mindset" to solving complex problems and technical issues through software improvements, documentation, scripting and technical education. This role is a healthy time mix between incident response, deployment support, ticket management, dashboarding, documentation, monitoring and source code programming/development work. This candidate will solve customer reported incidents, self-identify issues and improve the overall service through delivering innovative hands-on technical solutions. This role resides within the global Blockchain SRE team, works closely with the Blockchain core engineering and product management teams and reports to the Senior Manager of Blockchain Global Support Readiness.
Our Unique Blockchain Vision Centers Around:
- Permission, private distributed ledgers, not Proof-of-Work
- High-throughput data replication, not quorum-based
- A world of many ledgers, not a global database
- Seamless core cross-ledger transaction support, no escrow required
- Built-in reconfiguration capability and membership, not just authX/authZ
- Own and drive all customer reported incidents from initial response to troubleshooting to resolution including performance and stability issues
- Automate common, repeatable tasks at large scale to streamline operational activities and procedures
- Follow change management processes during implementations
- Use and maintain version control for application infrastructure
- Work within a diverse global team environment to support and maintain globally distributed, multi-cloud (public and/or private) environments. Cross-train with other global team members as needed
- Participate in on-call rotation as required
- Determine root-cause for all production level incidents and write corresponding high-quality RCA reports
- Work with Command Center to monitor, troubleshoot and manage service uptime and health issues in the Blockchain management portal environment
- Support upgrades, maintenance releases and patch deployments when needed
- Help develop Blockchain product monitoring and alerting solutions that track critical service operations metrics and reported deviations
- 5+ years of experience working in a similar role supporting technical operations in a live-site production environment with a real passion for automation and tooling
- 5+ years of experience in Unix/Linux systems programming with Python, Shell and/or Perl
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, a related field or equivalent practical experience
- Strong experience in one or more of the following: distributed systems, peer to peer networks, security/cryptography, or databases
- Demonstrated ability to resolve deep technical issues
- Solid work experience on VMware virtualization platforms or others like Amazon Web Services, Google Cloud, etc.
- Intensely customer-focused
- Exceptional bias for action - willing to move rapidly and decisively to resolve customer issues
- Ability to work non-standard hours as the business requires
- Experience working across geographic and functional teams (e.g. Engineering, Product Management, Operations, Customer Success, Global Support)
- Experience with Atlassian JIRA Service Desk, PagerDuty and Slack
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
Ways to stand out from the crowd:
- Exposure to continuous integration/development tools such as Jenkins or Spinnaker
- Experience with one or more monitoring solutions: ELK, Splunk, Nagios, Prometheus
This position is eligible for JoinBlockchain referral campaign
VMware is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: VMware is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at VMware are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. VMware will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. VMware encourages applicants of all ages. VMware will provide reasonable accommodation to employees who have protected disabilities consistent with local law.
Back to top