Product Management Director, Tanzu
VMware is looking for a Product Management Director to join Tanzu and the Modern Applications Platform Business Unit (MAPBU) product team with a focus on Developer Experience. VMware customers are increasingly deploying containers as the foundation of their application modernization efforts. The MAPBU team delivers best-in-class enterprise cloud-native solutions - supporting container frameworks such as Kubernetes.
This Tanzu team is chartered with providing application teams with a "native" Kubernetes experience that complements our existing Tanzu App Service (TAS) offering. They are a fast-paced, startup-like team where you will have the opportunity to shape the vision and product roadmap. You will be part of an action-oriented team that has a culture of open communication, empowerment, innovation, teamwork, and customer success. We are looking for an exceptional product leader with a strong connection to developers and their everyday challenges, a strong technical background, deep understanding of the market and its dynamics and the drive and desire to define and evangelize the solutions that will support Application Teams in their journey to Kubernetes and ultimately drive this profound industry transformation.
We are looking for a product leader with strong product instincts, but more importantly an appreciation for and understanding of lean startup, agile and user-centered design values, principles and practices. A leader who is excited by the user and business value that technology can unlock. A leader that thrives in a complex ecosystem, collecting, sharing and synthesizing input from many directions and enabling the team to continuously deliver customer value. A leader that believes in doing the right thing and doing what works.
Job Role and Responsibilities:
- Ensure that our Developer Experience strategy is strong and collaborate with teams to ensure they are working towards the vision and strategy
- Work closely with the field and customers to deeply understand the problem space and learn what outcomes the customers need to be successful
- Identify new market opportunities and work with teams to prioritize and achieve those outcomes
- Collaborate on go-to-market strategy for products within the area
- Execute against go-to-market plans in collaboration with the field
- Articulate investments and help track success towards goals
- Identify risks and assumptions and track their success or failure with concrete data
- Collaborate with customers to effectively communicate product vision, roadmap, and features
People and Teams:
- Create or identify opportunities for product managers within the area of responsibility to learn and grow as product managers
- Create feedback loops with product managers to provide timely, actionable, specific and kind feedback
- Work with product managers to understand the vision, while giving them the autonomy to make decisions with team
- Collaborate with other leadership to reorganize or transform teams to match evolution in product direction
- Collaborate with engineering & design counterparts to ensure product managers are allocated to the right teams and have opportunities to grow
- Help teams identify where processes could be improved on the team, and collaborate with teams to help them improve
- Create a culture of learning and experimentation
- Collaborate to identify paths for product managers to gather feedback and data on product features
This leadership position will leverage a wide variety of skills that build from those emphasized for successful product managers. For this particular product area, the key skills in addition to a strong product management foundation are:
- 8+ years Product management experience, especially with large scale, distributed products
- Obsessed with customers and their needs
- Exposure navigating large enterprise organizations with an understanding of IT partnerships
- Able to break down complex problems into simple solutions focused on important customer needs
- Strong leadership and communication skills and the ability to teach others
- Ability to communicate comfortably to many different audiences (engineering teams, field team members, marketing, business development, customer platform leads and CIOs, e-staff, etc)
- Ability to clearly articulate a product vision and collaborate with teams to help them execute on that vision
- Ability to facilitate group decision making in complex and ambiguous domains
- Ability to collaborate well with engineers, designers, and other partners
- Experience with Lean and User-Centered Design methodologies
- Comfortable with ambiguity. We work in an iterative and incremental way, balancing many different inputs and constantly making trade-offs.
- Positive attitude and strong team player
- Understanding of Kubernetes, relative market dynamics and organizational transformations a plus.
VMware is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: VMware is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at VMware are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. VMware will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. VMware encourages applicants of all ages. VMware will provide reasonable accommodation to employees who have protected disabilities consistent with local law.
Back to top