Cloud Management / Office of the CTO
The cloud management business unit in VMware is an exciting fast growing area that is leading the charge of simplification of management across hybrid and public cloud environments. We are looking for a technology leader with a broad industry experience from infrastructure to applications to help us grow our business broadly and simplify our customers experience when interacting with their next generation cloud environments.
VMware Cloud Management, a VMware suite of products is a very successful and growing solution set aimed at providing a comprehensive cloud management platform to manage modern workloads, from mission-critical workflows to containerized apps, in the private cloud, public cloud, and at the edge. The Cloud management technology manages compute, storage and network, combining them into a cloud service that applications can be easily deployed to based on intelligent policy decisions declared by the customers. We have ambitious goals to expand management capabilities to support the latest application architectures and deployment systems such as Kubernetes. We are also focused on making these systems so simple to manage and let the customers focus on the business decisions they need to make to optimize the operational cost of their environments.
We are looking for a Principal Engineer to lead and accelerate our journey towards this vision - taking our current successful products to the next level by infusing machine learning, high scale architecture and process automation into the very core of our offerings. In doing this the principal engineer will work with some of the best technology leaders in the industry an amazing team of architects and engineers within the business unit and across VMware.
You are an innovative, visionary, experienced and articulate software architect and developer, with a deep understanding of distributed systems, infrastructure software or system-level software, hardware platforms and how they are assembled to meet the customers goals. You have 15+ years of proven track record of delivering complex enterprise software, delivering the very best customer outcomes. You are an inspiring mentor and coach. You are conversant and passionate about emerging opportunities. You lead by example. You demonstrate excellence in collaboration and communication, a passion for problem solving and a proven track record for leading strong cross discipline teams to deliver high quality outcomes,
At VMware, we have a proven track record of transforming our customers' world for the better. Come help drive the next wave of innovation to accelerate that transformation and create technology for a better world.
Primary responsibilities of this role include:
- Lead and drive architecture to unify products and create a next generation cloud management platform, working with the engineering teams, VMware partners and cross-functional VMware groups that can delight our customers
- Be a hands-on engineer; ensure software built is well designed, high quality that delights customers.
- Drive awareness of new techniques and methods for improving the customer experience of the management products
- Work with customers, fellow principal engineers, architects, product management, etc. to articulate and shape the technical roadmap, drive bold product directions, and seek out innovative opportunities that have high impact in a fast-moving market
- Be an effective spokesperson and champion for the engineering teams
- Mentor and develop engineers to build a strong engineering bench. Promote a culture of innovation, pride, performance, and disciplined execution.
- Help recruit and maintain excellent and diverse engineering talent.
- Work effectively and lead a geographically distributed team.
- Seasoned engineer with minimum of 15+ years engineering experience with a strong track record of developing and delivering complex, distributed, enterprise class software, and create successful business outcomes
- Engineering experience building distributed systems, infrastructure software or system-level software
- Experience in the systems management sector, the challenges and approaches it brings.
- A highly driven leader that is known to deliver in high growth and highly dynamic environments.
- Architecture design and development experience on SaaS software
- Domain expertise in one or more of the following: Server, storage, network, security, cloud services, SaaS,
- Seasoned working with fellow senior engineers, product management, senior management, and other stakeholders to set vision and define technical roadmaps
- Ability to lead and mentor engineers globally, be a champion for creative technical trends. Acknowledged for driving decisions collaboratively, resolving conflicts and ensuring follow through.
- An extraordinarily intelligent, rigorous thinker who can operate successfully among very bright and charismatic people.
- Equally comfortable and capable interacting with technologists as with business executives.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral
- Deep understanding of cloud-scale and micro/macro-services architectures.
- Experience or conversant with public clouds - AWS (preferred), Azure and/or GCP.
- Ability to see and present "the big picture" and offer solutions to make it better.
Undergraduate degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering or in a related discipline required. An advanced degree (MS or PhD) is highly desirable.
This position is eligible for CHReferralCMBU ERP campaign.
VMware is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: VMware is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at VMware are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. VMware will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. VMware encourages applicants of all ages. VMware will provide reasonable accommodation to employees who have protected disabilities consistent with local law.