Principal Engineer, VMware Cloud Foundation
Principal Engineer, VMware Cloud Foundation
VMware, Inc. Palo Alto, CA.
VMware Cloud Foundation (VCF), a VMware offering in exponential growth mode, is a hybrid cloud infrastructure platform to run modern workloads, from mission-critical workflows to containerized apps, in the private cloud, public cloud, and at the edge. VCF integrates compute, storage, networking, security, and cloud management services, including support for modern composable hardware, to create a consistent, and dynamically configurable, infrastructure.
We have ambitious goals to expand VCF infrastructure so it is simple and extensible to deploy, run and manage these modern workloads, which are distributed, hybrid, multi-cloud and elastic, much like cloud services. Additionally, these full stack infrastructure clusters, hardware(s) plus software(s), should be converted into programmable, intelligent, intent-driven software endpoints. deployed, secured, and easily managed at scale, like a software CI/CD pipeline. The infrastructure is intent-driven, whereby an application can provide its runtime characteristics and requirements of the infrastructure and expect the entire stack to configure itself intelligently. The infrastructure also reconfigures or maintains itself on a ongoing basis, to support these hybrid applications' dynamic, elastic needs.
We are looking for a Principal Engineer to lead and accelerate our journey towards this vision - combining converged and composable infrastructure (servers, storage, switch) with full stack software, and cloud services into a consistent platform that is developer friendly, and consumer simple - working with our amazing team and other VMware architects, products and services.
You are an innovative, visionary, experienced and articulate software architect and developer, with a deep understanding of distributed systems, infrastructure software or system-level software, and hardware platforms. You have 15+ years of proven track record of delivering complex enterprise software, delivering the very best customer outcomes. You are an inspiring mentor and coach. You are conversant and passionate about emerging opportunities. You lead by example. You demonstrate excellence in collaboration and communication, a passion for problem solving and a proven track record for leading strong cross discipline teams to deliver high quality outcomes,
At VMware, we have a proven track record of transforming our customers' world for the better. Come help drive the next wave of innovation to accelerate that transformation and create technology for a better world.
Primary responsibilities of this role include:
- Lead and drive architecture to create and deliver programmable, full stack software and hardware infrastructure, working with the engineering team, VMware partners and cross-functional VMware groups.
- Be a hands-on engineer; ensure software built is well designed, high quality that delights customers.
- Work with customers, fellow principal engineers, architects, product management, etc. to articulate and shape the technical roadmap, drive bold product directions, and seek out innovative opportunities that have high impact in a fast-moving market
- Be an effective spokesperson and champion for the engineering teams
- Mentor and develop engineers to build a strong engineering bench. Promote a culture of innovation, pride, performance, and disciplined execution.
- Help recruit and maintain excellent and diverse engineering talent.
- Work effectively and lead a geographically distributed team.
- Seasoned engineer with minimum of 15+ years engineering experience with a strong track record of developing and delivering complex, distributed, enterprise class software, and create successful business outcomes
- Engineering experience building distributed systems, infrastructure software or system-level software
- A highly driven leader that is known to deliver in high growth and highly dynamic environments.
- Domain expertise in one or more of the following: Server, storage, switches, security, management system-level software, cloud services, SaaS,
- Seasoned working with fellow senior engineers, product management, senior management, and other stakeholders to set vision and define technical roadmaps
- Ability to lead and mentor engineers globally, be a champion for creative technical trends. Acknowledged for driving decisions collaboratively, resolving conflicts and ensuring follow through.
- An extraordinarily intelligent, rigorous thinker who can operate successfully among very bright and charismatic people.
- Equally comfortable and capable interacting with technologists as with business executives.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral
- Deep understanding of cloud-scale and micro/macro-services architectures.
- Experience or conversant with public clouds - AWS (preferred), Azure and/or GCP.
- Architecture design and development experience on SaaS software
- Ability to see and present "the big picture" and offer solutions to make it better.
Undergraduate degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering or in a related discipline required. An advanced degree (MS or PhD) is highly desirable.
VMware is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: VMware is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at VMware are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. VMware will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. VMware encourages applicants of all ages. VMware will provide reasonable accommodation to employees who have protected disabilities consistent with local law.
Back to top