- Bangalore, India
VMware is the leading player in on-premises infrastructure. With VMC on AWS we have delivered, SDDC to the cloud, now we want to deliver innovative cloud service to on-premises infrastructure that leverages our on-premises foot-print. Beyond just delivering net new services, the Principle Engineer would work with the SDDC architects to understand how to evolve the on-premises products to make cloud service delivery easier and enable higher value cloud services. This effort represents a strategic project for the company as we intend to transform the company into a subscription-based model.
Reporting to the General Manager - Cloud Platform Business Unit. The successful Principal Engineer candidate will be an innovative and seasoned leader with a 15+ year proven track record in managing complex SaaS software technologies. The candidate should be a seasoned, driven and passionate Cloud Services/SaaS engineering software architect with a proven track record of leading and transforming the delivery of complex cloud services, products, and technology portfolios. He/she will have successfully shipped/delivered innovative clouds services and software products that have resulted in significant market impact and have also managed fast growing organizations at scale. A deep understanding of clouds services, systems, infrastructure, SaaS and platform software is required.
The new Principal Engineer will lead the architecture software development and engineering technical strategy for a highly visible, strategic and significant investment area for VMware, which has tremendous visibility.
This software architect will establish a culture of passion and excellence in execution across this business unit and VMware. He/she will define challenging targets and milestones, focus the engineering teams, establish a high level of team participation and interaction, serve as an inspiring mentor and coach, ensure that quality is a high priority at every stage, and move products into production in the desired timeframes. He/she needs to be able to engage, influence and collaborate with development teams across VMware in this very highly visible, impactful role.
Primary responsibilities of this role include:
- Lead and drive engineering architecture in the ongoing evolution, growth, and transformation of the way VMware delivers all of its' cloud services.
- Architect design, and develop software SaaS architecture for the current and future generation of vCenter Cloud Sphere services.
- Ensure high-quality software and high customer satisfaction.
- Deliver technical collateral including technical case studies, best practices guides, whitepapers, and solution reference architecture to drive adoption of vSphere services.
- Be a respected leader in the company and industry. Establish a strong collaborative culture with peers and other functions within VMware. Promote a culture of success, pride, performance, discipline, and creativity.
- Be an effective spokesperson and champion for the engineering teams.
- Become a motivated product and industry influencer by maintaining deep technical and business knowledge of various market segments and of best-of-breed cloud strategies.
- Working with fellow principal engineers, architects, product management, and other stakeholders to define the technical roadmap for the product in response to customer requirements and market forces.
- Ability and willingness to become a hands-on engineer as necessary.
- Minimum of 15+ years of engineering architecture experience with a strong track record of successful development and delivery of complex, enterprise-class software that resulted in material market impact.
- Significant engineering experience in cloud services and SaaS environments.
- A highly driven leader that is known to deliver in high growth and highly dynamic environments.
- Successful experience of setting the vision, building, leading and motivating global engineering teams at scale.
VMware is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: VMware is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at VMware are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. VMware will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. VMware encourages applicants of all ages. VMware will provide reasonable accommodation to employees who have protected disabilities consistent with local law.
Back to top