Network Virtualization Engineer
- Alajuela, Costa Rica
Network Virtualization Engineer
As a Network Virtualization Engineer, you will have the opportunity to join an elite technical support team. You will work on the newest technology in some of the largest networks in the world.
We believe in building a highly collaborative team that thrives on resolving complex issues. Our team vision is that everyone has something to contribute and we can all always learn something new. From the first day, you can expect to be included in multiple opportunities to share your experience and knowledge of both technology and customer management.
You will provide technical support to both staff and customers who are working to implement VMware NSX platform and related products. You can expect to be presented with new challenges daily and many opportunities to grow your craft as an NSX engineer. To support your growth, you will receive top-notch continuous training in both virtualization and networking.
- Own and drive the customer experience throughout the lifecycle of a Service Request.
- Resolve technical issues through diligent research, reproduction, and troubleshooting.
- Work directly with staff in quality assurance, engineering, sales, marketing, operations, and administration to resolve problems.
- Be an advocate for network virtualization on NSX to our external customer, partners, and internal teams.
- Mentor and deliver training to other technical staff in Network troubleshooting topics.
- Participate in testing alpha and beta products and provide feedback to Engineering.
- Develop knowledge for your peers and customers based on as you learn, research and resolve problems.
- Take on problems and engage with NSX Engineering on customer reported issues, including identifying viable workarounds.
- Travel to customer sites and represent VMware and our NSX team.
- Respond to customer inquiries - via email and telephone.
- Networking: understanding of L2/L3 networking protocols including switching technologies, routing fundamentals, IP subnetting and Address Management, firewalling and load balancers
- Experience with network components such as ASR routers, switches, firewalls, ASA, etc).Virtual networking components VSG, Nexus1000V, BGP & OSPF protocol, Cisco UCS and storage
- CCNA or equivalent certification and/or related work experience
- Familiarity with systems management concepts, processes, and standards (e.g. SNMP); capacity/performance management and tuning; and storage and network management
- Experience crafting and/or supporting large enterprise deployments.
- Hands-on experience with Linux/UNIX based operating systems including strong CLI skill set and working knowledge of the general system and network troubleshooting tools (e.g. Wireshark)
- Good practical working ability with Linux/UNIX utilities, including editors and command shells
- B.S. in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Math, or equivalent work experience
- Fluent in spoken and written English
- Portuguese is a plus
- Ability to travel 20 percent of the time.
Highly Preferred Skills
- Hands on experience with VMware ESX Server or VMware products
- UNIX kernel diagnostics/debugging (at a level typically found in senior level 2 or level 3 UNIX support staff)
- Experience with operation and administration of large Windows Server and Desktop Environments
- Experience in administration of complex Storage Area Networks, including Fibre-channel and Ethernet-based protocols
- Previous exposure to Cloud Management Platforms such as OpenStack, Cloud-Stack, vRA including Networking enabled by software
- Familiarly of Clustering Technologies such as MS Cluster Server, Redhat clustering, Oracle RAC
- Hands-on and working with key technology solution/language/tools e.g. CloudStack, OpenStack, AWS, KVM, libvirt, Chef, Puppet, Python, CMS, DynamicOps, API, etc.
- Previous Enterprise Technical Support.
- CCNP or equivalent certification and/or related work experience
VMware is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: VMware is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at VMware are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. VMware will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. VMware encourages applicants of all ages. VMware will provide reasonable accommodation to employees who have protected disabilities consistent with local law.
Back to top