MTS - Performance Engineering
- Salinas, CA
Performance Engineer - vSphere Platform Performance Team
VMware is looking for a motivated and skilled engineer to join the vSphere Platform Performance team to drive works on key scalability and performance challenges facing virtual platforms on premise and in the cloud. Particularly we are looking for someone to work on the performance analysis of storage management features in large scale, cloud-native environments.
As a leader in virtual and cloud native infrastructure, VMware provides solutions to help people create, deploy and manage applications in large scales. These solutions are architected and implemented with low overhead and high efficiency to achieve low latency operations, and to support thousands of virtual machines or Kubernetes PODs. Performance engineering plays a critical role to accomplish these performance and scale goals. Our software stack involves a large number of components running across many systems that communicate with each other. Measuring and analyzing software performance across the large number of hardware and software components and technologies is a perfect playground for people who enjoys solving challenging problems. As a performance engineer, you will design and execute characterization strategies, analyze performance data, and provide insights to optimize the products. You will also be involved in publishing the performance insights as blogs or whitepapers to guide customers on performance best practices.
- Study the product architectures, define performance targets and design proper performance analysis strategies accordingly
- Create and maintain custom benchmarks for different products
- Develop and automate the execution of benchmarks
- Analyze performance data to resolve performance issues and identify optimization opportunities
- Publish performance insights to guide customers on performance best practices
- Degrees in computer science or engineering, graduate degrees preferred
- 5 years of relevant professional experience
- Strong programming skills Python, Java
- Strong knowledge in the distributed software system
- Strong Operating Systems fundamentals and Linux administration skills
- Expertise with application profiling tools, e.g. Yourkit, Linux Perf, vTune
- Experience in performance monitoring and analysis tools of distributed software stack
- Proven ability to work well with others in a fast paced, iterative development environment
- Excellent communication skills
VMware Inc. is an equal opportunity employer and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any kind. All applicants will be treated fairly and given equal opportunity in all aspects of the employment, including compensation and benefits, irrespective of their race, color, nationality, religion, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, age, disability, or ethnic origin.
VMware is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: VMware is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at VMware are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. VMware will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. VMware encourages applicants of all ages. VMware will provide reasonable accommodation to employees who have protected disabilities consistent with local law.
Back to top