Member of Technical Staff - Product Security
- Palo Alto, CA
Do you like finding bugs?
How about security bugs?
Do you like helping developers get it right, whether that means guiding their design, implementation or deployment?
VMware's Product Security Team is looking for you.
As Security Engineers, we work with developers from around the company and globally on everything from design, through code and deployment. Our role is to look for potential security issues and help with design fixes or mitigations before VMware products or services ship. You will be exposed to technology at every level of the stack from our own hypervisor, which supports billions of workloads around the world, to dozens of management suites to mobile and IoT to the latest CI/CD microservices.
We write plenty of our own tests, automation and scripts, but we don't spend our days checking in code. We don't write code that ships as a VMware product or service. It is good to note that our team is not responsible for VMware's infrastructure or laptops or internal services. We also don't look at virus scanners or firewalls.
Job Role and Responsibility:
You'll join a team of experienced and highly motivated Security Engineers to break all things system, network, client, web and cloud - and then guide teams to put it all back together properly. As a Staff Security Engineer, you'll lead and execute on day-to-day activities of the team, partner with Product teams to identify and mitigate security issues, provide security subject matter expertise across VMware and mentor both new and experienced security engineers.
- You'll find new vulnerabilities in VMware products
- You'll analyze externally reported vulnerabilities
- You'll design vulnerability mitigations and workarounds
- You'll act as a technical reviewer for external security communications such as VMware Security Advisories
- You are passionate about applying your hands-on product security experience to working on systems management, virtualization, cloud, software defined networking and more.
- You have a deep understanding of at least one of the following areas: Web Application security or System Software internals or Layer 2-7 Networking and Networking Security
- Your reputation as a security professional is based on your significant and demonstrable industry experience
- You communicate clearly and write well and can explain just about anything to anyone, and you're comfortable communicating in writing and on the phone
- You are well-known for your excellent prioritization skills, expertise uncovering security issues in design and code, and guiding teams to the right fix at the right time
- You've kept current on OOP and you have deep skills developing software in either Java or C/C++ which makes you an expert bug spotter
- Bachelor's degree (or higher) in Computer Science or similar
VMware is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: VMware is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at VMware are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. VMware will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. VMware encourages applicants of all ages. VMware will provide reasonable accommodation to employees who have protected disabilities consistent with local law.
Back to top