Member of Technical Staff
- Palo Alto, CA
The VMware Engineering Services team ensures our internal and external customers enjoy a high-quality experience across the entire product portfolio. Our goal is to provide compelling, innovative, scalable, and seamless engineering services, which will protect VMware's brand reputation by continually improving customer satisfaction. We bring together key R&D functions such as build, performance, security, release management (and more), which frees up R&D business units to focus on product innovation. Our priorities include investing in R&D talent, sharing best practices, and driving scale and agility in VMware products.
Job Role and Responsibility
Come join the VMware's Central Performance Engineering team. We are a diverse organization of creative thinkers, solving cross product performance problems, from platform, storage, networking, management products to SaaS and hybrid cloud. We drive efficiency, improve the bottom line and have fun while doing it. Our products and services drive a measurable impact on the business, we do the things that matter. Our team defines performance standards and is closely involved in products design and architecture to ensure they are fundamentally built for high performance and scalability. The team plays a critical role in taking products to market by generating performance highlights and educating customers on sizing and performance best practices. Research is ingrained in our DNA. We invent new technologies that enable our products to scale to next generation hardware and applications. We advance through research, development and domain expertise the future of AI within the company.
You'll work on VMWare's pioneering, machine assisted self-driven software defined data center project. As a Member of Technical Staff, you'll build expertise on how to integrate performance considerations at the hardware, hypervisor, guest OS layers into an overall understanding of why various applications perform as they do, and then to communicate what is learned to the appropriate stakeholders. You'll partner with performance engineers as well as developers to improve core products, develop best practices, author blogs and white papers, and present internally, at conferences, and directly to partners and customers. You¹ll be part of a bright engineering team that has an open communication, empowerment, innovation, teamwork and customer success culture. Make a difference in your career - be part of something bigger than all of us - Join the VMware performance family.
- Bachelors in Computer Science or related field
- Understanding of operating system internals and computer architecture
- Proficiency in Python
- C, C++ programming
- Working knowledge of Linux/Unix
- Aptitude for performance engineering R&D and working on large distributed systems
- Excellent analytical and debugging skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
Exposure to, or passion in, data analytics and machine learning
- Basic hypervisor system administration skills.
- Knowledge of systems performance and the storage domain
- Work experience in system software development, testing and performance engineering
- Experience or interest in building software with continuous integration and deployment
- Masters or PhD in Computer Science or related field strongly desired
Back to top