Member of Technical Staff 3 - VMKernel Hardware Group
- Palo Alto, CA
Business overview:VMKernel Group, Cloud Platforms Business Unit
The VMKernel team is part of the Cloud Platforms Group responsible for ESXi operating system and core virtualization infrastructure.
We are looking for engineers interested inoperating systemsandsystem softwarein a virtualized environment. Engineers get to design and implement novel operating systems techniques and algorithms for ESXi. You will work with various kernel teams to design and deliver new functionality, mainly targeted forvirtualizationworkloads. This position entails developing operating systems software to enable newhardwarefeatures and architectures in a virtualized environment.
- MS or PhD in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or equivalent, or a BS with strong operating systems industrial experiences.
- Strong C programming skills.
- Intimate knowledge of OS interfaces to hardware feature and facilities, preferably with experience in a virtualized environment andIOvirtualization area.
- Excellent understanding of operating system concepts andkernelcomponents.
- Experience with low-level / kernel-level code development.
- Good understanding of modern Intel and AMDx86-based processor architectures
- Experience with writing high-quality, well-architected and well-documented code.
- Strong analytical and debugging skills.
- Good verbal and written communication skills.
- Knowledge of x86 assembler, C++, Java, Perl, Go, Python and other programming languages a plus
- Experience with Systembring-ups,CPU,Chipset, SMP/NUMA,NVRAM/NVMEM, BMC/Service processor, ..etc
- Familiarity with multiple virtualization platforms, such as ESXi, ZEN, Hyper-V, as well asIOMMU, SR-IOV,Passthrudrivers,...etc, technologies.
- Familiarity with kernel performance analysis and optimization.
- Understanding of distributed system concepts, Dis-aggregated System/ Composable hardware, a plus.
- Experience in designing and developing kernel level projects is a plus
- Hands on in developing modular and extensible code.
VMware is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: VMware is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at VMware are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. VMware will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. VMware encourages applicants of all ages. VMware will provide reasonable accommodation to employees who have protected disabilities consistent with local law.
Back to top