Member of Technical Staff - 3
- Palo Alto, CA
VMWare is designing a visionary new Clustered Operations workflow for managing the ESXi hypervisor. This requires a complete rewrite of the design for how ESXi clusters are managed at scale. There is an urgent need for engineering talent to help the team with implementing this significant transition.
Job Role and Responsibility:
We are looking for smart engineers to help our team radically redesign and implement the way ESXi hypervisors are managed in terms of clustered operations. From a host centric way of doing things, we are moving to a cluster-focused approach that lends itself to scale out well for Cloud, OnPrem and Edge deployments. The ideal candidate for this role will be technically savvy about technologies being used in the project, inquisitive and excited about how such significant product changes get designed and implemented in a product that has a huge customer adoption base. This is a ground-floor opportunity to get in on a large-scale system design, that will impact and determine the course of our premier vSphere product for many years to come! We are interested in engineers who are keen on actively participating in energized technical discussions, excited about the technical challenges that need to be solved and not hesitant about rolling up their sleeves to get in the trenches to implement and troubleshoot interesting solutions.
The responsibilities for this role are the following:
- Help design and implement innovative new solutions for our domain - managing clusters of ESXi hypervisors at scale.
- Participate with the team in technical discussions, architectural decisions and problem-solving exercises.
- Interact with peers in the team (and even outside the team) on issues dealing with our product solution. These interactions may be with Development/QA Engineers, Product Managers, Documentation specialists, Technical Marking etc.
- BS/MS in Computer Science/Electrical Engineering or similar fields - MS preferred.
- 2+ years of relevant experience for MS and 4+ for BS.
- A good programming background at the systems level of the software stack would be very useful.
- Good knowledge of distributed systems, databases, algorithms, data structures and object-oriented concepts.
- Some understanding of Networking and Storage fundamentals would be very useful.
- Some understanding of virtualization concepts is a plus, but not required.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Preferred language experiences are C++ (highly desirable), C, Python and Java.
- Some understanding of UI/UX requirements
VMware is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: VMware is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at VMware are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. VMware will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. VMware encourages applicants of all ages. VMware will provide reasonable accommodation to employees who have protected disabilities consistent with local law.
Back to top