Member of Technical Staff - 3
- Bengaluru, India
The Elevator Pitch: Why would you enjoy this new opportunity?
Enterprises are running mission critical software in more places than ever before -- in their datacenter, hybrid cloud, public cloud, and at the edge.In order to catalyze Enterprise transformation throughsoftware, VMware envisions a world where Kubernetesis as available as a utility - like electricity - customers need to deploy a consistent Kubernetes grid across all their operational environments. TanzuKubernetes Grid (TKG) provides Enterprise organizations with a consistent, upstream compatible, Kubernetes substrate across SDDC, Public Cloud, and Edge environments that is ready for end-user workloads and ecosystem integrations. TKG builds on trusted open source and community projects and delivers an engineered and supported Kubernetes platform for end users and partners.
What is theprimary need, technical challenge, and/or problem you will be responsible for?
You will be a part of the Tanzu Kubernetes Grid Core team, with a focus on upstream core Kubernetes. As an engineer on this team, you will be contributing to the upstream Kubernetes project to improve the project's CI signal and community infrastructure. The focus of this role is also to ultimately grow up the contributor ladder into more influential positions in the upstream Kubernetes project.
Success in the Role: What are the performance goals over the first 6-12 months, you will work toward completing?
You will be expected to:
- Independently contribute to develop tools to help improve the upstream Kubernetes project's CI signal and reduce flaky jobs.
- Ensure community infrastructure can be maintained and accessible to the community and avoid reliance on google employees.
- Contribute and review code for kubetest2, the framework for launching and running end-to-end tests on Kubernetes.
- Implement features and fix bugs in workflow automation tools like prow and tide.
- Write Kubernetes Enhancement Proposals (KEPs), participate in community meetings and mentor other contributors.
What type of work will you be doing? Whatassignments or requirements will you be performing on a regular basis?
On a regular basis, you will
- Design and implement features, triage, review and respond to incoming issues and pull requests, ensure high code quality and correctness through testing and factoring, and maintaindocumentation, release notes, etc.
- Participate in community discussions in the Kubernetes slack, mailing lists and meetings.
- Collaborate in upstream and internal architecture planning and design meetings.
- Collaborate with internal teams to solve issues involving upstream Kubernetes.
- Publicly discuss relevant topics through presentations, blog posts, webinars, etc.
- Mentor, provide direction and guidance to junior engineers and new contributors to the project.
- Work in a distributed team across multiple geographical locations.
What is leadership like for this role? What is the structure and culture of the team like?
The hiring manager for this role is Sudheesh Sudhakaran, Director of Engineering. Sudheesh recently joined VMware with the mission to set up the TKG engineering team in India. He spent more than 12 years with VMware in various engineering roles prior to becoming the Head of Engineering and India MD for OVHcloud last 3 years.
Kubernetes upstream team in India will work closely with the Tanzu global upstream team and the global K8s community.
Sudheesh will work with you to set the direction, provide guidance, and remove impediments. He will expect you to be autonomous, innovative, and passionate to achieve the team's mission.
What are the benefits and perks of working at VMware?
You and your loved ones will be supported with a competitive and comprehensive benefits package. Below are some highlights, or you can view the complete benefits package by visitingwww.benefits.vmware.com.
• Employee Stock Purchase Plan
• Medical Coverage, Retirement, and Parental Leave Plans for All Family Types
• Generous Time Off Programs
• 40 hours of paid time to volunteer in your community
• Rethink's Neurodiversity program to support parents raising children with learning or behavior challenges, or developmental disabilities
• Financial contributions to your ongoing development (conference participation, trainings, course work, etc.)
• Healthy and local inspired snacks in all our on-site pantries
This position is eligible for JoinTanzuIndia referral campaign
VMware is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: VMware is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at VMware are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. VMware will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. VMware encourages applicants of all ages. VMware will provide reasonable accommodation to employees who have protected disabilities consistent with local law.
Back to top