Manager, Corporate Communications
- Boston, MA
Manager, Corporate Communications
VMware Global Communications
Reports to: Samantha Mayowa, Sr. Manager, Corporate Communications (SBU Global Communications Lead)
Location: Greater Boston / Remote
VMware Global Communications Team
Storytelling is at the heart of VMware's future growth; with great stories we inspire our customers, influencers, stakeholders and employees about the positive impact VMware technologies can have in business and in our communities. The Global Communications Team leads the storytelling function at VMware. We are a team of around 40 communications professionals spanning public relations and reputation, integrated storytelling, industry analyst relations, executive and employee communications. It's a fast paced, dynamic, and exciting environment. We're looking for team members with a great attitude, who are smart, thoughtful, collaborative and organized, and who thrive at the center of always-on communications.
Overview | Manager, Corporate Communications
We are looking for a manager-level professional to join the team responsible for communicating VMware's business and technology news and stories. This individual will use storytelling to influence VMware's company reputation and manage communication programs in support of VMware's security business unit. You will be responsible for developing and executing a multi-pronged communications and social media strategy, producing original thought leadership and data-driven content, driving global media relations strategy and managing reporting and metrics to help elevate VMware's reputation and perception as an innovator in business, technology and services . In addition, this person will assist with managing external agencies, award submissions, product reviews along with other keys tasks.
- Manage content creation for key communications vehicles, including news releases, media pitches, blogs, research reports, spokesperson quotes, messaging documents, FAQs and award submissions.
- Develop the long-term strategic direction for and oversee all social media planning and organic executional efforts across all aspects of the VMware Security Business Unit. Establish benchmarks and methods to measure the effectiveness of digital/social media platforms and initiatives.
- Manage existing influencers relationships and help reach new and strategic external media outlets, social channels and contribute to VMware's digital news and thought leadership site.
- Work across the global communications team to land "connected communications" outcomes. Collaborate to secure high-impact media coverage through proactive storytelling, scaling globally.
- Participate in a news bureau effort to identify and drive a regular drumbeat of stories to support business goals. As part of this news bureau, excel at opportunistic storytelling inserting the VMware Intrinsic Security strategy into topical, industry and competitive news-cycles.
- Over time, provide effective communications counsel to executives, corporate spokespeople and other stakeholders.
Qualifications & Skills
The ideal candidate will have experience creating, managing and executing PR, social and storytelling programs for high-profile enterprise technology brands, preferably in cybersecurity. They should be an outstanding communicator, a storyteller by nature and a news junkie who wants to always participate in the next story. The individual in this role will distill complex concepts into compelling stories and develop a range of platforms to tell them. Strong writing, media relations, social media expertise, presentation and program measurement skills are a must. They will also have experience collaborating across functional teams and possess the ability to influence, build consensus and drive action in a fluid work environment.
- 5-8 years in technology public relations, corporate communications social media or related experience with a high growth publicly held company. Deep public relations experience within the security software industry is an advantage.
- Adept at both the art and science of PR - wonderful creativity combined with a clear head for business.
- Strong media and influencer relationships; traditional media relations and social media expertise.
- Strategic, creative thinker, communicator and collaborator; able to manage and engage across multiple projects and develop positive relationships across the business.
- Exceptional written and oral communications skills.
- BS/BA in business, marketing, or communications preferred.
- Previous experience at a PR agency is preferred, though not required.
- This job requisition is not eligible for employment-based immigration sponsored by VMware
VMware is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: VMware is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at VMware are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. VMware will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. VMware encourages applicants of all ages. VMware will provide reasonable accommodation to employees who have protected disabilities consistent with local law.
Back to top