Java Software Engineer
- Boston, MA
We are looking for experienced software engineer with strong architecture and design skills to join our Data Analytics Infrastructure team. First and foremost, our team and this position is all about large scale data acquisition. If you have experience building end-to-end back-end data infrastructure (ingestion, modeling, processing) that uses scale-out architectures to deal with large amounts of data and numerous access patterns, we would love to have you in our team!
In this role, you will be designing and developing VMware's data analytics infrastructure for product usage analytics with the most appropriate technologies to suit existing and to-be-discovered customer use-cases. Knowledge of Hadoop and Hadoop-related projects, NoSQL and MPP databases is very important, and so is a real passion for building great software systems.
- Drive standards in development, design, CI/CD and DevOps
- Design and influence information management for diverse business data domains, including aspects of conceptual, logical and physical design with a goal of providing sufficient details to undertake development, testing and implementation of a solution
- Contribute to the architectural vision, roadmap, and implement standards for governing, modeling, storing, and delivering data within the enterprise
- Define and implement policies and processes for data quality, data security, and governance
- Commit to corporate-wide Data Management initiative across business units
- 3 or more years as a software developer, preferably in Java.
- 3 or more years of experience as a technology authority and more than 2 years specializing in data architecture and database design.
- Experience using Data Modeling tools and Metadata Management solutions.
- Change oriented - actively generates process improvements; drives positive change; confronts difficult circumstances in creative ways, balances multiple and competing priorities and executes accordingly.
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills: verbal, written and listening.
- Solid experience in software development, specifically in distributed computing environments or Big Data platforms.
- Experience with Hadoop ecosystem.
- Deep understanding of SQL and NoSQL databases.
- Advanced knowledge of BI concepts and data processing (e.g. ETL, data aggregation and analysis) is a requirement.
- Experience working in an Agile environment
- Experience leading a Backend/Distributed Data Systems team while remaining hands-on is very important.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral are required
Technical undergraduate Computer Science and/or Electrical Engineering degree required and an advanced degree would be highly desirable.
VMware is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: VMware is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at VMware are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. VMware will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. VMware encourages applicants of all ages. VMware will provide reasonable accommodation to employees who have protected disabilities consistent with local law.
Back to top