Intern - Product Management (Summer 2020)
VMware recognizes that today's students are tomorrow's trailblazers and we value the opportunity to benefit from your fresh perspective. If you thrive in an open, innovative, technology-driven culture, VMware could be the place for you! You will be exposed to a wide range of software platform technologies that are utilized by customers all over the world.
VMware is a global leader in cloud infrastructure and business mobility. VMware accelerates customers' digital transformation journey by enabling enterprises to master a software-defined approach to business and IT. With VMware solutions, organizations are building extraordinary experiences by mobilizing everything. Our customers are responding faster to opportunities with modern data and apps hosted across hybrid clouds, and safeguarding customer trust with a defense-in-depth approach to cybersecurity.
At the core of what we do are our people who deeply value execution, passion, integrity, customers, and community. Do you dare to do the stuff you've always dreamed about? Dare to explore at http://careers.vmware.com.
VMware offers cutting-edge cloud infrastructure and security services to companies of all shapes and sizes. Our world is all about technology, and that world is growing because the imagination, ingenuity and talent of our teams knows no bounds. We believe that creativity sparks innovation and inspires our employees to think of VMware differently and change the world around them.
Job Role and Responsibilities:
Product Managers are the CEOs of their products and are responsible for defining, prioritizing, planning and driving the execution of the vision for their product lines. We possess an eye for business as well as engineering wherewithal in order to be able to strategize, drive and bring their product to market. We work extensively with customers while working cross functionally with Product Marketing, Engineering, Sales, Corporate Marketing and Alliance Partners in order to successfully prioritize features and develop the products that our customers need.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Define and drive use cases, user personas, product features/requirements, roadmaps and release plans for product features
- Identify a variety of customer needs across the application environment, drive feature prioritization and work closely with engineering to deliver successful products
- Lead the product feature planning process; ensure that the product set meets the requirements of all applications which will run in, on, or be managed by the business units
- Understand customer needs and requirements and represent them in MRDs and PRDs
- Work closely with VMware customers, developers, and key VMware stakeholders including Engineering, Support/Services, Product Management and Sales
- Understand the market competition for the product set and develop product and competitive positioning
- Define, track and interpret key business metrics and drive activities which support continued deployment of applications
- Support planning, execution and go-to-market
- First year MBA student with a BA/BS in Computer Science or equivalent technical knowledge
- 3-5 years of work experience in product management, product marketing, or equivalent experience in enterprise software technology.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills and are confident presenting to large audiences (e.g. VMworld)
- Your past experience includes interacting with and presenting to customers and prospects
- You're capable of quickly understanding technologies, algorithms, and architecture, and interpret and articulate them into customer-facing implications
- Experience with VMware products
- You can seamlessly translate technology features into business benefits
- You offer proven analytical abilities and think outside of the box
- You are capable in developing creative/non-traditional solutions
- You have knowledge of either networking and security IT products or Cloud Management Platforms (e.g. OpenStack, vRealize Automation, vCloud Director)
- Understanding the needs, scenarios, and common deployments in the enterprise datacenter is desirable
- Previous experience shows strong team skills and the ability to bring together diverse views.
Note to students from outside the US: While any student with a legal right to work in the U.S. may apply for this role, you should be aware that VMware does not sponsor work visas for the entry-level roles these Internships may prepare you for.
VMware is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: VMware is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at VMware are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. VMware will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. VMware encourages applicants of all ages. VMware will provide reasonable accommodation to employees who have protected disabilities consistent with local law.
Back to top