Information Security Engineer (Python Developer)
- Bangalore, India
Why will you enjoy this new opportunity?
You are passionate about security. You are naturally curious and persistent and do the right thing when no one is looking. As a member of our team you will enable the Digital Transformation of Information Security by driving efficiency through code and automation. We are changing the way Information Security works and we want you to be a part of it.
What is primary need, technical challenge, and/or problem you will be responsible for?
We are looking for an experienced software developer to join our team as Senior Information Security Engineer. As VMware grows, automation will help to increase the efficiency, productivity and consistency of our organization. We are striving for a world where security and compliance are achieved through code.
Success in the Role: What are the performance goals over the first 6-12 months you will work toward completing?
- As an experienced developer you will make an impact from your first day on our team. You will contribute to some existing products in development and help to engineer new, highly visible solutions.
- You will help to build a balanced team and promote software development best practices throughout the organization. Your will use your experience to help shape the way our team works.
- You will augment your existing skills and experience as you learn the ins and outs of our dynamic environment. Each member of our team has at least one personal development goal at any time and continued learning is expected.
What type of work will you be doing? What assignments, requirements, or skills will you be performing on a regular basis?
- You will be part of a team that designs, builds and maintains security products that enable the security organization to manage risk for VMware and increase visibility in an increasingly complicated world. These products must perform at scale.
- We collaborate with other internal engineering teams to ensure we all produce standardized, reusable components that can be shared throughout VMware.
- You live and breathe Python and have worked extensively with source code management tools (GitHub/GitLab) and issue tracking tools such as Jira. You have implemented and managed CI/CD environments in a large organization. Comfortable with Cloud environments like AWS and Azure (and associated technologies boto3 and Azure SDK), you will be to quickly pivot to pick up new skills as required.
- Excellent collaboration and communication skills are also required, with the ability to explain complex security and technical concepts simply.
- You are committed to continuous security learning and have a clear vision of your future. It would be awesome if you have experience facilitating product design and management exercises. You should be familiar with common orchestration tools such as CloudFormation and Terraform. API Design and development are part of the job so experience in that area will be an advantage.
- Ideally you have a track record of community participation with local meetups, Conference speaking and open source contributions.
Required Skills and Experience
- Extensive understanding of Cloud Infrastructure and Architecture
- Linux and Windows system administration (Windows 2016, Centos, Amazon Linux, RHEL)
- Scripting, Programming, Coding knowledge (Python, Bash, Powershell)
- Comfort with devops and automation mindset and the tools required (Jenkins, Ansible, Puppet, Chef, Lambda)
- Ability to build working relationships with critical stakeholders
- Ability to constructively challenge status quo while adhering to corporate ethics and leadership principles
- Ability to execute with passion. Lead and follow with Integrity, in a collaborative manner.
- Certifications like CISSP, CCSP, Security+, CEH, CISM
- AWS solution architect professional, Azure Solution Architect
What is the leadership like for this role? What is the structure and culture of the team like?
The Hiring Manager for this role is Bharath, Senior Manager, Information Security. He has experience working with teams across VMware on developing and implementing security solutions. He has been with VMware for almost 8 years now.
Bharath believes in collaboration, teamwork, and providing his team with the best opportunity to succeed. Doing the best possible job and helping other VMware teams is essential to success on the team. The team atmosphere is relaxed even in stressful times and appropriate work/life balance is essential. Leading projects and driving items to completion is a valuable quality.
This is a new team with an important mission. We are a distributed team who can work anywhere. We follow agile development methodologies including pair programming, experimentation, iteration and are committed to learning from rapid feedback. We spend as little time in meetings as possible, instead focusing on adding real value and making meaningful use of our time. We evangelize and drive adoption of these methodologies across the security teams at VMware.
We engage with the broader security community by participating in local meetups, conferences and open source contributions.
VMware is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: VMware is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at VMware are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. VMware will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. VMware encourages applicants of all ages. VMware will provide reasonable accommodation to employees who have protected disabilities consistent with local law.
Back to top