Industry Standards Technical Manager
- Palo Alto, CA
At VMware, we believe that software has the power to unlock new opportunities for people and our planet. We look beyond the barriers of compromise to engineer new ways to make technologies work together seamlessly. Our cloud, mobility, and security software form a flexible, consistent digital foundation for securely delivering the apps, services and experiences that are transforming business innovation around the globe. At the core of what we do are our people who deeply value execution, passion, integrity, customers, and community.
Job Role and Responsibility:
VMware's Industry Standards Office (INSO) is seeking a seasoned Industry Standards Technical Manager to reshape the future through driving standards initiatives across VMware in the areas of Cloud, Telecommunications and Networking.
Located within VMware's Office of the CTO, the mission of the Industry Standards Office is to fiercely represent VMware's strategic interest in national and global standards, championing product standards alignment and strengthening the implementation of best practices to move the industry forward and impact the world.
As a member of the Industry Standards Office (INSO) team, you will leverage your disruptive industry knowledge and domain expertise in Cloud, Telecommunications and Networking technologies to amplify VMware's vision within standards setting organizations. You will influence security, cloud, networking and telco topics and concepts derived from close collaboration with internal technology stakeholders with the goal of streamlining compliance activities and simplifying customer adoption for VMware products and services.
You will lead team reviews of standards-related content with peers, working groups, forums, and ad-hoc committees to build consensus for positions, contributions, issue resolution or change requests that align and drive VMware's short-term and long-term strategies.
Technical Standards Manager - Cloud, Telco & Networking
In this role, you will form strategies by directly collaborating with business units, product owners, researchers, and peer technologists on shared corporate visions to produce innovative targeted plans to advance the company's interest with standards organizations and industry consortiums.
Key responsibilities include:
- Possess in-depth, hands-on experience with cloud, telecommunications and networking technologies, empowering you to serve as a respected subject matter expert with standards organizations.
- Represent VMware in industry standards organizations, industry forums and consortiums, as appropriate, to ensure resulting standard, specifications or policies aligns with VMware's strategic direction.
- Demonstrate thought leadership with the identification of new trends and requirements for emerging standards areas providing recommendations to management.
- Provide internal teams with transparency on key actionable input and recommendations from standards organization for product alignment and extended roadmap planning.
- Knowledge of content and controls required for conformance with regulatory certifications for cloud, telecommunications, and networking. (i.e. PCI, FedRAMP, NIST SP-800-53, etc.)
- Willingness to continuously learn new relevant topics, technologies, and techniques to represent stakeholder interest with standards organizations.
- Participate in group communications consisting of whitepapers, newsletters, blogs, proposals, speaking engagements, and internally socialize to demonstrate thought leadership and knowledge depth.
- Establish relationships as a trusted advisor with key industry players, partners, industry visionaries and government representatives.
- Focus on multiple related standards groups and US and International trade associations. Examples may include, but not limited to, International Committee for Information Technology Standards (INCITS), World Wide Web (W3C) Consortium, International Organization for Standardization (ISO), European Telecommunications Standards Institute (ETSI), and Open Radio Access Network (O-RAN).
- You have a BS/BA degree in Business or Technology-related field (required)
- You have 5-7+ years' experience with cloud, telecommunications, and networking technologies.
- You have 3+ years' experience standards setting organizations where you produced proposals and/or submissions and served as a liaison for your company.
- Comfortable with technical writing environments where you produce and review technical documentation and specifications from VMware and other standards participants.
- You have excellent executive level communications (written/verbal), interpersonal and organizational skills.
- You have a proven track record of effective change management, stakeholder engagements and reporting.
- You are a self-starter. Able to understand when to take initiative and be pro-active, always thinking ahead anticipating needs.
- You are comfortable with high-change, environments and thrive on new concepts and/or processes are important qualities.
- You are a multi-tasker, while also being clear and focused with the ability to radically prioritize and coordinate tasks to meet multiple deadlines.
- You are comfortable with conflict resolution and have the skills to resolve disagreements quickly and effectively, bring a positive problem-solving attitude to conflicting approaches and priorities involving others.
VMware is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: VMware is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at VMware are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. VMware will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. VMware encourages applicants of all ages. VMware will provide reasonable accommodation to employees who have protected disabilities consistent with local law.
Back to top