Incubation Leader for Big Data Infrastructure
- Palo Alto, CA
Incubation Leader for Big Data Infrastructure
VMware Research & Emerging Technologies
Palo Alto, CA
VMware is a global leader in digital infrastructure. VMware accelerates customers' digital transformation journey by enabling enterprises to master a software-defined approach to business and IT. With VMware solutions, organizations are building extraordinary experiences by mobilizing everything. Our customers are responding faster to opportunities with modern data and apps hosted across hybrid clouds, and safeguarding customer trust with intrinsic cybersecurity.
Our world is all about technology, and that world is growing because the imagination, ingenuity and talent of our teams knows no bounds. We believe that creativity sparks innovation and inspires our employees to think of VMware differently and change the world around them.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Job Opportunity in VMware Research & Emerging Technologies Group
The VMware Research & Emerging Technologies group seeks to hire an Incubation Leader for Big Data Infrastructure who will develop and drive new product opportunities around high-performance data ingest, storage, and processing. The project will be fueled by results coming out of our internal research group as well as academia and the industry more broadly. The ideal candidate will be a highly technical, hands-on, entrepreneurial individual who is committed to driving the industry and to identifying, seeding, and enabling new high-performance database components.
As an Incubation Project Leader, you will be responsible for engaging with external customers and partners to shape technology directions, build prototypes, engage in customer POCs, identify business propositions, and help VMware's product managers build a business case for a new product or service.
Specific responsibilities for this leadership role include:
· Identifying new product opportunities in big data infrastructure
· Influencing and leveraging research initiatives related to big data
· Enabling VMware products to support and leverage emerging big data infrastructure
· Extrapolating business opportunities from emerging research results
· Recruiting and/or inspiring a small team to build prototypes
· Managing the engineering process and driving toward POCs
· Identifying and leading customer proof-of-concept trials of relevant emerging technologies
· Driving product-market fit for relevant emerging technologies
· Making a case to launch new product and/or services
The successful candidate will also be expected to engage in the following activities:
· Outreach to VMware's customer base in selected industries to identify and refine a vision of Big Data Infrastructure frontiers, and to identify new business and product opportunities. This activity includes: participating in industry forums, engaging with VMware's field CTO advisory team, meeting with customer executives, to identify and refine technical requirements that are supported by a strong business case.
· Leading a small and effective advanced development team. This activity involves providing product guidance, hardening research prototypes, assembling end-to-end proofs of concept, and deploying those proofs of concept in customer trials.
· Evangelizing insights and results within and outside of VMware to build momentum behind the new opportunity and motivate launch of new product lines as needed.
· Working with relevant business units and market-facing organizations to advance Big Data Infrastructure efforts within VMware
Qualifications and Experience
· Proven track record of incubating new products and/or influencing industry directions in big data infrastructure
· Deep hands-on knowledge of relevant emerging technology areas (e.g. databases, key-value stores, SQL-like query processors, data warehouses), products (e.g., LevelDB, RocksDB, Redis, Gemfire, Pinot, Presto), enablers (e.g., NVMe, NVRAM, FPGAs, RDMA), data structures and algorithms (e.g., LSM trees, index data structures, concurrent data structures, parallel algorithms, Bloom filters, B-trees, approximate data structures) and/or other relevant related technical expertise
· Experience with relevant customer segments
· Proven track record of identifying business propositions and developing technologies that are supported by compelling business cases
· Proven track record of identifying business propositions and working with product managers to develop a business case
• Ability to inspire and lead a small group of developers
• Track record of engaging with customers on trials to refine emerging technology
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
Education Master's or Doctorate degree (or equivalent experience) in a relevant area such as Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering. MBA or comparable experience desirable.
VMware is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: VMware is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at VMware are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. VMware will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. VMware encourages applicants of all ages. VMware will provide reasonable accommodation to employees who have protected disabilities consistent with local law.
Back to top