Full-Stack Web Developer
- Palo Alto, CA
VMware's App Volumes team seeks an experienced Rails developer to help us improve and evolve our application delivery and virtualization product for Windows virtual machines.
App Volumes makes it easy to deliver, update, manage and monitor applications across Windows virtual desktop (VDI) and published application environments. It decouples the operating system, applications, and user personalization so they can be reconstituted on-demand to deliver Just-in-Time desktops and applications across any infrastructure topology. This enables a truly stateless desktop with no trade-off between user experience and costs. One-to-many application provisioning lowers storage and operational costs while proactive monitoring reduces help desk costs.
Job Role and Responsibility
Improve and evolve our web-based management service and administration console.
In a typical day you will...
- Write and review detailed research and design documents
- Implement full-stack solutions for agile user stories using test-driven design with 100% code coverage
- Develop UI automation using Java
- Read and review code from other developers to reduce bugs, improve implementations, and expand your knowledge
- Investigate and reproduce complex bugs using logs from several infrastructure components
- Improve core libraries that facilitate communication to hypervisor, directory, and data services
- Maintain and upgrade a large Ruby-on-Rails application that runs on Windows, Linux, and Mac environments
- Participate in the Agile Scrum process and attend stand-up, planning, grooming, review, and retrospective meetings
- Strong back-end web development skills using Ruby on Rails applications with SQL databases (Postgres, SQLServer)
3+ years of hands-on experience in software development using Java
- Strong experience with creating and consuming RESTful APIs
- Strong knowledge of test-driven design and testing concepts such as mocks, stubs, fixtures, and spies
- Strong software design and architectural skills in object-oriented and functional programming styles
- Basic knowledge of PKI and SSL certificates
A high degree of "ownership" - the ability to determine what needs to be done and make it happen
- Passion for Agile software development methodologies and collaborative development
- Understanding of continuous integration practices
- Ability to communicate at all levels of an organization and across diverse cultural, geographical, and linguistic barriers
- 4+ years of industry work experience and hands-on development
- Experience with Atlasssian development tools such as Jira, Stash, and Bamboo
- Experience with administration and software development on Windows systems
- Experience with the vSphere SOAP API - https://code.vmware.com/apis/358/vsphere
- Experience with Active Directory or other LDAP-based directory services
- Experience with other interpreted languages and frameworks such as PHP (Laravel, Cake), Python (Django), JS (Express)
- Basic knowledge of Virtual Desktop Infrastructure (VDI)
- Experience with Jenkins (CI)
- Knowledge of common website and enterprise security issues
- BS/BA degree or equivalent experience
For more information about VMware App Volumes, please visit https://www.vmware.com/products/appvolumes.html
VMware is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: VMware is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at VMware are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. VMware will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. VMware encourages applicants of all ages. VMware will provide reasonable accommodation to employees who have protected disabilities consistent with local law.
Back to top