Finance Senior Director & Costa Rica Site Leader – Costa Rica Finance and WWBO FP&A
- Alajuela, Costa Rica
VMware has an exciting opportunity for a Finance Senior Director to join our Corporate and Business Operations Finance Team in a challenging, fast-paced environment. This role is responsible for partnering with WWBO (World Wide Business Operations) functions such as HR, Legal, Finance & Accounting, Data Team, Pricing Team on all financial aspects of the business - from long-range/annual planning and investment decisions, all the way to operational expense management, metric tracking and support of cross-functional framework development. This Senior Director acts as a steward of financial resources for VMware and balances the needs of the business with the financial resources available. In addition, this Senior Director leads the WWBO consolidation, planning, forecasting, and close.
This Senior Finance Director is also the Costa Rica Finance site leader representing finance & accounting both in Costa Rica as well as in Palo Alto. The finance site leader is deeply investing into developing the VMware finance team, community and culture to develop the team members for career growth and leadership. The right individual also needs to embody the EPIC2 values of VMware, demonstrate passion to understand the business, and collaborate across many stakeholders in the VMware organization. This role reports to the Vice President of VMware Corporate and Business Operations Finance.
Why join VMware Finance
VMware Finance is a global organization that is dedicated to the short- and long-term growth and success of VMware - and to using analytical tools and collaboration to build connections internally and externally. It's a fast-paced environment, with lots to learn. We are looking for people with strong critical thinking skills, who want to work collaboratively, serve our customers and make good choices. Uncompromising ethics and integrity are hallmarks of our organization. We are a diverse group, covering the areas of corporate finance, FP&A, pricing, revenue, investor relations, treasury, license compliance, tax, internal audit and the many corporate accounting functions. Come, join our team of motivated professionals, and grow with VMware!
- Costa Rica Site Leadership: As leader of the Costa Rica site council, support the development of Costa Rica in alignment with the corporate strategic direction. Implement a strong governance and operations model, ensuing business continuity, compliance with local laws, regulations & company policies . Represent the company in front of government, industry, statutory & regulatory institutions, academia and media with focus on strong positioning of VMware as a leading IT Company, an Employer of Choice and a Force for Good.
- Regional Community Leader: With the transformation to a new way of working in a highly distributed environment, there will be an increasing need for supporting the health and well-being of the distributed workforce in the Region ("Community"). Responsible for driving collaboration on a regional level across groups and functions, leading to higher business impact for the company . Support implementation & communicates regional Policies, Tools and Rituals for working in distributed environment. Represent the Site & the Regional Community in front of internal and external stakeholders. Track regional metrics & KPIs .
- Costa Rica Finance site leadership. Further develop the VMware finance culture and community in Costa Rica across FP&A, accounting, internal audit and related functions. Ability to develop and coach the people manager community for career growth and leadership. Represent the finance & accounting function across the Costa Rica site, as well as towards the partners in Palo Alto. Member of the Costa Rica leadership team. Lead and drive recruiting of high caliber talent for the finance function. Deeply engaged in the career development of the finance community.
- WWBO business partnering. Partner closely with VMware's WWBO leaders (e.g. Finance & Accounting, CPO, General Counsel, Chief Data Officer). Advise on capital and operating investment opportunities, trade-offs, resource prioritization, risks, all with a mind-set to optimize the company's ROI and improvement of key financial metrics. Drive accountability to financial commitments
- WWBO consolidation. Lead the planning, forecasting, close and reviews for all WWBO functions (i.e. including the functions this role owns, plus IT and Facilities).
- Annual and long-term planning. Responsible for financial planning covering operating expenses and headcount both annually and with a 3year horizon. Drive efficient and collaborative process for planning with business and corporate finance. Clearly frame to prioritize new investments, efficiency opportunities, and run-rate expenses
- Manage operational investments and expenses. Proactively support business in making major operational expense decisions by analyzing cost drivers, providing key financial assumptions, creating models to support vendor negotiation, and advising on trade-offs - all with a mind-set to optimize the company's ROI. Lead the creation of frameworks to accelerate decision making as VMware rapidly grows
- Drive compliance with processes and policies. Jointly with business, ensure compliance with processes and company policies. Orchestrate trainings for business related to processes and policies
- Conduct analysis and support decisions. Provide ad-hoc analytics for business and finance stakeholders. Manage deep-dives into spending categories to identify optimization opportunities. Support development of frameworks that shape decision. Orchestrate the aggregation of data from many different sources to provide insights and dashboarding
- Track and manage performance. Provide financial insights and metrics, executive level explanations, and analytics on the performance of the WWBO functions within the VMware rhythm of finance including close reporting, forecasting, headcount management, and scorecard management. Drive accountability for forecasting accuracy on opex, capex and headcount
- Manage the WWBO team. Recruit, develop and retain a team in Costa Rica and India. Invest into developing the team; inspire and motivate the team to do their best work
- Improve Systems and Business Processes. Lead process, system, and control improvements for increased efficiency and effective financial analytics. Partner with business, IT and/or finance stakeholders to implement these improvements
Key Qualifications :
- Minimum of 15 years of relevant financial planning and analysis experience (FP&A)
- Strong record of career progression and managing budgets in the hundreds of millions of dollars size
- Experience across multiple FP&A functions
- Extensive experience in partnering with business on large scale investments
- People leadership:
- Ability to coach for leadership and career development in a large organizational setting
- Ability to attract, develop and retain the best finance professional talent
- Proven ability to develop a team culture that fosters learning, team work, work-life-balance and fun
- Partnering, influencing and collaboration:
- Skilled at building relationships with executive business partners
- Strong and confident presence. Effective presenter
- Strong and independent analytical thinker and influencer
- Management & Site Leadership:
- Strong Leadership skills with proven record of driving large matrix organizations
- Prior Site Leadership experience is a plus
- Ability to effectively manage stakeholders and internal/external customers and partners
- Strong interpersonal and collaboration skills; ability to work with a diverse team and influence/drive change across geographic, functional and business boundaries
- Self-starter and highly proactive in reaching out to business units and functional organizations
- Strong project management, planning, and organization skills, including ability to handle multiple projects/programs simultaneously in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to take charge of complex projects with minimal direction and develop new strategies and new ways of approaching business challenges independently
- High energy and motivation
- Unquestionable integrity and demonstration of EPIC2 values
- Strategic thinking and strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Proven financial and business analysis
- Financial process and system experience
- Fluent in Spanish and English
- Bachelor's Degree in Business or Finance; a MBA and/or CPA is preferred
- Ability to travel 20-30% of time
VMware is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: VMware is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at VMware are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. VMware will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. VMware encourages applicants of all ages. VMware will provide reasonable accommodation to employees who have protected disabilities consistent with local law.
Back to top