Engineering Manager, Deployment Lifecycle Program (VMware Tanzu) - Remote
- Berkeley, CA
*Location: Remote - Ability to work West Coast hours
The Elevator Pitch: Why will you enjoy this new opportunity?
We enable our customers' Platform Engineers to prepare, install and update workloads running on VMs and on containers on top of Kubernetes. We also serve the deployment tooling needs of internal Tanzu R&D teams. We aim to make deploying and upgrading workloads on Kubernetes simple, fast, and consistent.
We aim to be good open source citizens and build a community around our products as much as possible. Some examples of open source products we work on are kapp, ytt, kbld, and BOSH.
We nurture psychological safety within teams and empower them to drive the changes necessary to obtain successful outcomes. We build software and solve problems collaboratively.
As a leader for your team, you will have the latitude to enable teams to meet these complex demands as you see fit. Your support will help teams focus on building great technology by becoming better engineers.
What is the primary need or problem you will be responsible for?
We need someone who can support our engineers and balance their need to support existing consumers of their testing, compliance, and distribution solutions, while also helping them to leverage their knowledge and experience to build a solution that is adapted and evolved for the Kubernetes future. This help will be a balance of mentoring engineers to improve their own skills, connecting them with opportunities within our larger program, and advocating for their work to our Balanced Leadership Team (composed of engineering, product management, and design). Along with your peer engineering managers, you will be responsible for guiding your team(s) towards executing on their OKRs.
Success in the Role: What are the performance goals over the first 6-12 months you will work toward completing?
Within the first 30 days, get to know your team and develop a high-level understanding of your team's technical domain, scope, and responsibilities. Begin operating as a part of your team.
Within the first 90 days, understand the context of your team and reports: their history, their aspirations, and their motivations. Observe your team's health, sustainability, and psychological safety. Know where connections with other parts of the program should be made to address overlapping concerns. Begin operating as a part of our program.
Within the first 120 days, by working with leadership and your peer managers, connect your reports with opportunities within your team and the broader program to help them develop and grow as engineers. Align these opportunities with the pillar, program, and individual's OKRs.
What type of work will you be doing? What assignments, requirements, or skills will you be performing on a regular basis?
- Your highest priority, and at least 50% of your time, is managing your reports. This includes, enabling them to do their day-to-day job well, coaching them to grow and become better engineers, and leveraging your domain and organizational context to connect them with growth opportunities.
- You will also spend time contributing to conversations with leadership about the size and scope of your team(s). You will influence allocation conversations and lead hiring responsibilities for additional engineers to build out our program structure.
- The rest of your time is open to how you can make the biggest impact to the program's objectives. That may be:
- Writing code for your team as an Individual Contributor
- Stewarding the program's culture and health by establishing best practices or guiding principles for teams
- Facilitating cross-program communication and collaboration
- Increasing transparency by creating a feedback loop between teams and leadership about the program's strategy, its business goals, and OKRs
- Anything else you think adds value to our program or your teams
What is the leadership like for this role? What is the structure and culture of the team like?
This Engineering Manager role will report to the Engineering Lead for the Deployment Lifecycle program within the Modern Application Business Unit (MAPBU). The program is led by a balanced leadership team, composed of an engineering, product management, and design leader. Collaboration with this leadership team and your peer engineering managers will be core to your work. We believe in creating a psychologically safe and inclusive workplace, and building compassionate relationships with the people we work with. As an engineering manager in the program you will be a steward and role model of these values.
To learn more about Tanzu watch this video. #teamtanzu
What are the benefits and perks of working at VMware?
You and your loved ones will be supported with a competitive and comprehensive benefits package. Below are some highlights, or you can view the complete benefits package by visiting www.benefits.vmware.com.
- Employee Stock Purchase Plan
- Medical Coverage, Retirement, and Parental Leave Plans for All Family Types
- Generous Time Off Programs
- 40 hours of paid time to volunteer in your community
- Rethink's Neurodiversity program to support parents raising children with learning or behavior challenges, or developmental disabilities
- Financial contributions to your ongoing development (conference participation, training, course work, etc.)
This position is eligible for TanzuChallenge referral campaign
VMware is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: VMware is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at VMware are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. VMware will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. VMware encourages applicants of all ages. VMware will provide reasonable accommodation to employees who have protected disabilities consistent with local law.
Back to top