- Bangalore, India
Job Description (End User Computing Horizon, Application Management)
VMware End User Computing group is looking for a Manager of R&D to lead engineering team working on Application Virtualization. You will work on challenging and interesting problems addressing scalability, stability and ease of use for AppVolumes and ThinApp products. You will focus on integrating the current product into cloud-based management and Workspace One. You will focus on driving the architecture, design, engineering efficiency and optimize the development process for continuous product delivery.
Successful candidate will have a strong self-directed work ethic to thrive in a fast pace environment. They bring broad technical experience, creative problem-solving skills, a passion for technology and coding.
The right candidate will have in-depth experience in building and shipping high performance, scalable high quality products to a large customer base. They have managed senior engineering talent and have a strong focus on product design, architecture and development. They are willing and able to get into the technical details and are hands-on.
The person should have strong interpersonal and organizational skills. They have a passion to build, mentor, motivate and manage multiple teams of developers and technical leaders. They are motivated to work closely with cross functional teams across geographic locations to ensure product delivery & customer commitments are met on time. They hold themselves personally accountable to product and customer success and take ownership of problems.
Required Skills and Background
· BS/BE/Masters in Computer Science
· 15+ years working in the software industry with at least the last 6+ years' experience in managing top notch software development teams
· Proven track record of building and shipping successful software products
· Strong software development and project management fundamentals
· Experience with software development using languages such as C, C++, Java, Node.js or Ruby
· Experience in developing APIs, automation, and life cycle management a plus
· Exposure to testing and deployment tools and CI/CD
· Demonstrated ability to understand and solve deep technical issues
· Proven track record recruiting and retaining top engineering talent
· Demonstrable knowledge of running SCRUM or other Agile practices
· Working knowledge of basic technologies such as networking (TCP etc).
· Use of Open Source packages for common capabilities.
· Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, with attention to detail.
· Hard-working with a "whatever it takes" attitude.
· Able to demonstrate effective teamwork both within the immediate team and across teams.
· Excellent communications skills and able to lead a team of highly technical individuals.
Highly Desired Skills
· Experience in Windows System and Kernel development a plus
· Knowledge of virtualization, file systems, and storage a strong plus
· Experience in service oriented architectures and developing cloud solutions on public clouds (Amazon Web Services (AWS), Google Cloud Platform (GCP), Microsoft Azure or OpenStack) a plus
· Familiar with one of the major server virtualization products (preferably VMware ESXi/vSphere)
· Experience with an RDBMS such as Oracle, MySQL, MS SQL Server, or PostgreSQL (preferred)
· Experience with test frameworks and tooling
· Experience in building RESTful API, fullstack development, and/or User Interface
VMware is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: VMware is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at VMware are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. VMware will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. VMware encourages applicants of all ages. VMware will provide reasonable accommodation to employees who have protected disabilities consistent with local law.
Back to top