Engineering Delivery Lead
- London, United Kingdom
Engineering Delivery Lead
Ready to build? So are we. Come join our VMware Tanzu Labs team and help organizations worldwide accelerate the delivery of software and modernize legacy apps, while reducing operating costs and risk.
You have a strong passion for leading engineering teams to deliver world-class customer outcomes. You have previous people management experience with proven ability to motivate and coach diverse teams to optimize performance. You have the ability to manage change effectively. You are a problem solver and the thought of collaborating with a team to help organizations transform to meet the challenges of tomorrow excites you. You are an expert negotiator, enjoy working with other people, and are motivated by creating "lightbulb" moments for the people you work with.
Recruit, manage, and develop an amazing team of engineering consultants while helping to shape thought leadership in our industry. Support VMware Tanzu Labs client engagements by providing hands-on delivery leadership through a world-class Agile and Lean consultancy and software delivery. Drive great customer experiences and contribute to the operations of a responsible, and profitable consultancy practice.
The amount of time you spend on any of the following responsibilities may change depending on the needs of the business.
- Define and monitor progress on employee development plans and goals for 5 - 10 direct reports (including establishing and tracking goals, encouraging professional development opportunities and holding regular career conversations)
- Actively involved in discussions and decisions on performance management, talent reviews, compensation and equity recommendations, promotions and more.
- Regularly collect and synthesise feedback from and about your reports to help identify strengths and opportunities for growth of team members, and advocate for their success
- Continuously improve career development plans and career ladders with management peers, and other colleagues within the business.
- Support leadership in planning for growth in new locations, new skill sets and/or roles
- Partner with recruitment on hiring pipelines, both managing candidates and continuously improving the interview processes and candidate experience
- Participate in annual headcount planning, and collaborate with finance and recruiting partners on recruiting activities
- Ensure client billing, expenses and vacation are accurate for your reports
- Lead or participate in internal projects around improving people and practice processes
- Play a positive role in managing team and project health on client and internal engagements
- Run client-facing workshops on our core practices (XP, User Experience Design, Product Management and more)
- Potentially join client engagements for short-lived work, vacation or sick cover
- Continuously drive improvement within teams to increase the customer experience, drive further adoption of VMware technology and grow the VMware Tanzu Labs business
- Overall responsibility for the quality of the practitioners alongside their readiness of client engagements
- Collaborate with Delivery Leaders to ensure successful client engagements
- Work closely with account teams to support sales activities and recommend the use of VMware Tanzu Labs services for key clients
- Work to expand or extend existing engagements in partnership with VMware Tanzu Labs Sales colleagues.
- Be accountable for managing team and project health on client engagements
- Advise clients on the development of program-level practice strategies of our larger, transformational clients
- Advise and support client engagements on complex consulting or practice-based situations, occasionally being more hands-on to support engagements
- Support the business in staffing client engagements, making recommendations of staff, and discussing with those selected about upcoming engagements
- Sponsor client engagements, ensuring engagement success and customer satisfaction
- Collaborate with Program Managers and finance to ensure forecasts, project spend, and invoices are accurate for your projects
- Handle client escalations in a collaborative and empathetic way
Experience / Skills
- 5+ years of engineering experience
- 3+ years of management experience
- 3+ years of consulting experience
- Ability to motivate, grow and lead consultants at various stages of their career across practices
- Excellent communication, active listening and organization skills
- Ability to balance a variety of tasks
- Comfort in holding team members accountable for achieving their goals
- Strong sense of self awareness, can relate well, learn quickly and adapt tochanges while remaining calm under pressure
- Empower Teams - Diverse teams with shared context, psychological safety, and decision-making authority move faster.
- Start Simple - Learn just enough to begin and let the work inform the direction.
- Embrace Change - Expect change and turn it into opportunity.
- Deliver Early and Often - Ship value to users and measure impact to lower risk.
- Improve Continuously - We are always learning and humbled by what we don't know.
- Contribute to Open Source Communities - Share our time, tools, and methodologies to maximize our impact.
VMware is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: VMware is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at VMware are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. VMware will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. VMware encourages applicants of all ages. VMware will provide reasonable accommodation to employees who have protected disabilities consistent with local law.
Back to top