Director, Engineering - Tanzu Application Service - Opportunity for Working Remotely
- Toronto, Canada
The Elevator Pitch: Why will you enjoy this new opportunity?
- You have an analytical mind and a passion for the craft of software engineering, and you love solving problems and learning new things.
- You enjoy coaching and leading teams and helping enable individuals to be successful.
- You want to be a part of a collaborative environment whose teams care about the product they are creating, how they create it, and the impact it has on customers' business objectives.
What is the primary need, technical challenge, and/or problem you will be responsible for?
- As an engineer you know how frustrating it can be to spend months developing something only to wait weeks to see it land in production.
- You are keen to help support and enable the future of our TAS business and desire to focus on enhancements that need to be made to support and grow our customer base.
Success in the Role: What are the performance goals over the first 6-12 months you will work toward completing?
- You can communicate and collaborate with product and design in your development and you are constructive in sharing your opinions
- You oversee the staffing setup, location strategy for work and feasibility in overall operating costs.
- Your teams are healthy as determined by key metrics of engagement, retention, work/life balance, delivery that you helped put in place.
What type of work will you be doing? What assignments, requirements, or skills will you be performing on a regular basis?
As a leader in Engineering, you will:
- Manage headcount, hiring, on-boarding
- Helping ensure our engineering teams have the direction needed to be successful in building out enhancements
- Coach managers and helping to sustainably grow the teams and individuals on your program.
- Leading and orienting a team of 30+ engineers and managers towards delivering against program objectives.
- Work at a team level with product managers, engineers, designers, and people managers in figuring out what to work on next and how to prepare for future work.
- Bringing clarity where there is uncertainty, managing risk and continuously delivering value.
- Defining experiments, measuring success metrics and using data to inform decisions.
The hiring manager for this role is Catherine McGarvey, VP of Engineering. Catherine has worked for MAPBU, VMware since December 2019. Prior to MAPBU, Catherine was VP of Software Engineering for Pivotal in New York. She joined Pivotal in 2011. Catherine currently leads Engineering for the Developer and App Platform Pillar, partnering with Graham Siener and Ryan Morgan. Catherine supports 250 engineers spread across 20 programs.
What are the benefits and perks of working at VMware?
You and your loved ones will be supported with a competitive and comprehensive benefits package. Below are some highlights, or you can view the complete benefits package by visiting www.benefits.vmware.com.
- Employee Stock Purchase Plan
- Medical Coverage, Retirement, and Parental Leave Plans for All Family Types
- Generous Time Off Programs
- 40 hours of paid time to volunteer in your community
- Rethink's Neurodiversity program to support parents raising children with learning or behavior challenges, or developmental disabilities
- Financial contributions to your ongoing development (conference participation, trainings, course work, etc.)
- Healthy and local inspired snacks in all our pantries
VMware is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: VMware is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at VMware are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. VMware will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. VMware encourages applicants of all ages. VMware will provide reasonable accommodation to employees who have protected disabilities consistent with local law.
Back to top