Director, Competitive Intelligence
VMware accelerates digital transformation through a software-defined approach to business and IT. The trusted platform provider of choice for more than 500,000 customers globally, VMware is the pioneer in virtualization and an innovator in cloud and business mobility. A proven leader, VMware allows customers to run, manage, connect and secure applications across clouds and devices in a common operating environment.
Our team of 20,000+ people working in 50+ locations worldwide is committed to building a community where great people want to work long term by living our values of passion, innovation, execution, teamwork, active learning and giving back. If you are ready to accelerate, innovate and lead, join us as we challenge constraints and problem solve for tomorrow today.
Job Role and Responsibilities:
- Develop competitive intelligence, critical insights, and recommendations to positively influence strategic decisions with VMware's executive team and key business stakeholders.
- Build in-depth studies analyzing top competitors (e.g. Microsoft, Cisco) and assess strategic, go-to-market, and technological gaps.
- Compare and contrast VMware vs the competition in order to provide impact assessments and recommendations to improve VMware's position in the market.
- Develop market evolution hypotheses and anticipate competitive dynamics, including the identification of emerging competitive threats.
- Evolve competitive program engagement model, with a focus on broadening internal customer base across VMware business units and increase frequency and depth of touch points throughout the year.
- Forge strong relationships with business leaders to understand strategy and pain points, and ensure competitive content is strategically aligned and impactful.
- Engage industry analysts to ascertain relevant research, scope custom projects, and build RFPs.
- Become embedded in business unit strategy and planning processes, including long range planning, fiscal year planning, worldwide sales kickoff, and other strategic initiatives throughout the year.
- Track major competitive announcements and proactively build awareness of key competitor moves (e.g. AWS shift toward distributed cloud model)
- Develop detailed project plans, clear process for engagement with stakeholders, clarify intent and goals, establish strategic imperatives, etc.
- Present competitive studies and key insights and align with VMware senior leaders on recommendations and areas of focus. Measure level of engagement and meaningful use of competitive content throughout the year.
- At least 10 years in competitive intelligence for a software or cloud-based company. Strong understanding of infrastructure software, security, management, analytics, and developer platforms across private and public cloud.
- Executive level presentation skills. Capable of articulating recommendations clearly, handling objections, and switching between big picture thinking and detailed requirements.
- Exceptional technical depth with competence to explain and debate at the architectural level. Consistent knowledge builder with an eye on leading edge technology and business models.
- Ability to collaborate within a small team environment. Precision PowerPoint development required, with high attention to detail and format.
- Self-starter with a bias for action and results orientation. Able to prioritize, focus, and execute through obstacles. Innovative thinker with analytical problem-solving skills.
- Degrees in engineering, computer science and MBA preferred
- Eagerness to translate high-level business objectives into actions
- Excellent communications skills, with the ability to synthesize, simplify and explain complex problems to different types of audience, including executives
- Experience in Software, Cloud, or Infrastructure such as Compute, Network, Storage
VMware is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: VMware is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at VMware are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. VMware will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. VMware encourages applicants of all ages. VMware will provide reasonable accommodation to employees who have protected disabilities consistent with local law.
Back to top