- Bangalore, India
Why will you enjoy this new opportunity?
The VMware Unified Endpoint Management (UEM) platform allows companies to make it easy for employees to work anywhere, any time, on any device, without compromising security. But making things easy for our customers is extremely challenging for us, so we are looking for unique thinkers of varying backgrounds that want to take on such complex, highly technical, customer-impacting challenges. We, the UEM team, have a large customer base that spans across industry verticals including a majority of the Fortune 500 companies. That means that the work you do here has a broad, measurable impact on the businesses and communities that these customers represent.
We also want to help you have a positive impact on the community and the environment, whether through the Power of Differences (PODs) groups, various environmental improvement initiatives, matching donations to qualified non-profits or time off for volunteering. And we want to have fun along the way, both while you are making a difference for our customers and for your community.
This role is a great fit for engineers who want to own production solutions while getting hands on with a wide variety of the latest and greatest open-source technologies, and love to push the boundaries of what cloud infrastructure software and tooling can achieve. We use a wide range of cloud platforms and technologies such as Ansible, Terraform, Packer, AWS, VMware on AWS, Docker, Elasticsearch, StackStorm etc. just to name a few. And we have a large catalog of internal and external training content that you can leverage, if you need to brush-up on something you know or to learn something new.
What is primary need, technical challenge, and/or problem you will be responsible for?
The SaaS Delivery & Enablement (SDE) team drives the delivery and reliability of core applications, services and infrastructure that make up our global SaaS offering. We are often involved in the leading-edge use cases of the SaaS transformation of the product and work towards automated solutions for both infrastructure and the application.
We need someone who has a DevOps mindset to solving problems, maintains a high degree of ownership as we continue our automation journey into Software Defined datacenters for hosting our SaaS products. You would also be expected to write code, design and drive technical decisions. You will be expected to learn and own engineering initiatives and champion a culture continuous improvement, and engineering excellence.
Success in the Role: What are the performance goals over the first 6-12 months you will work toward completing?
- You will develop a solid understanding of the SaaS offering. This would be demonstrated by your understanding of the full infrastructure and automation stack and delivering features around the automation and SDDC objectives.
- You will need to produce code to automate and scale the solutions as we add new features and integrations into our existing solutions. You will also be expected to maintain the code and integrate into the on-call rotation of the team for the supporting the automation jobs that run-in production datacenters
- You will be expected to work closely with our other Engineering and Services teams on projects and DevOps initiatives around Automation and Site Reliability
What type of work will you be doing? What assignments, requirements, or skills will you be performing on a regular basis?
- You will be expected to come with 3+ years of industry experience in Development, Site Reliability or comparable Cloud Engineering position
- You will implement and improve process around DevOps, CI/CD etc. and will be expected to come familiar with knowledge around CI/CD pipelines and cloud automation tooling like Ansible, Terraform, Jenkins, Docker etc.
- Most of your time would be spent in writing high quality code with test coverage in Python & working with Cloud Automation software to deliver automated solutions across the entire stack.
- You will also be expected to have some experience with on-premise and cloud-based infrastructure and services such as vSphere products and AWS and network software like BIG-IP, DYN, Route53 etc.
- Collaborate in-person or on Slack and Zoom with other R&D teams, other Services teams on projects and integrations for our Cloud Services.
What is the leadership like for this role? What is the structure and culture of the team like?
The hiring manager for this role is Shrivatsh Santhanagopalan, Manager, Cloud Services. His experience is quite varied and most recently includes leading the SaaS Delivery team that has built and maintains numerous production service delivery jobs, CI/CD pipelines etc. Shri's management philosophy is to build a team culture that encourages everyone on the team to be independent thinkers. He is there to ensure the team is working on appropriate business priorities and the team has everything at their disposal to think out of the box and execute on their ideas.
The core team is current made up of 8 engineers and continues to grow! The team has varied backgrounds and are spread out across the US, UK and India (Bangalore). The team often works with other Services and R&D teams & Individuals on cross team projects and across geographies & time zones, so you will need to manage expectations for your availability and delivery times with your teammates and with the various other teams with whom you will be working.
What are the benefits and perks of working at VMware?
You and your loved ones will be supported with a competitive and comprehensive benefits package. Below are some highlights, or you can view the complete benefits package by visiting www.benefits.vmware.com.
- Employee Stock Purchase Plan
- Medical Coverage, Retirement, and Parental Leave Plans for All Family Types
- Generous Time Off Programs
- 40 hours of paid time to volunteer in your community
- Rethink's Neurodiversity program to support parents raising children with learning or behavior challenges, or developmental disabilities
- Financial contributions to your ongoing development (conference participation, trainings, course work, etc.)
VMware is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: VMware is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at VMware are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. VMware will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. VMware encourages applicants of all ages. VMware will provide reasonable accommodation to employees who have protected disabilities consistent with local law.
Back to top