Data Architect - Data Platform team
- Boston, MA
CloudHealth by VMware is the global market leader in Cloud Service Management, and the most trusted software platform used to accelerate business transformation in the cloud. We are searching for lead architects to define and drive our big data architecture and guide and mentor our data processing engineering teams. As the lead architect of the Data Platform organization, you'll have the opportunity to make a significant and direct impact on our platform and products, in addition to solving some of the most complex challenges in cloud computing.
In addition to guiding the technical direction of the Data Platform teams you will be a member of the architecture team and will work closely with other architects across the company to define and set the overall technical direction of the CloudHealth service offering.
- Collaborate with the Engineering Leadership, Product Management, and existing engineering teams to design, develop, and publish software architecture specifications that evolve and scale the big data processing components of our SaaS platform.
- Work with and across engineering teams to guide their low level designs and influence their technical decisions to align with the higher level architectural goals.
- Work with other lead architects to define and drive long-term product technology strategy.
- Work with Product management and the field to understand and reconcile new customer requirements and needs.
- Prior experience with building and operating large, complex, data processing flows. (Experience with Hadoop and Spark a must.)
- Ability to handle problems with ambiguity -- need to define and decompose into addressable units.
- Working at the right level in order to oversee and guide the efforts of dozens of developers. This will require building relationships with the team and educating and influencing them to improve their designs.
- Solving complex technical problems that involve researching multiple solutions, rapid prototyping, and then making the appropriate trade-offs.
- A sense of humor (Non-negotiable). We work too hard to not have fun and celebrate individual/team/company accomplishments.
- 7+ years of commercial software development experience.
- 3+ years building or using cloud services in a production environment
- 1+ years of experience with big data technologies
- Development experience with Java/Scala/Ruby
- Excellent communication skills (verbal and written) Need to be able to break down large and complex problems into consumable pieces and be comfortable presenting to large and small audiences.
- Developing software using a microservices architecture, with knowledge of Docker and Kubernetes, in leading cloud environments (AWS, Azure, GCP)
We are already interested but would love experience with:
- Defining and/or working with big data pipeline solutions
VMware is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: VMware is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at VMware are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. VMware will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. VMware encourages applicants of all ages. VMware will provide reasonable accommodation to employees who have protected disabilities consistent with local law.
Back to top