Competitive Research Analyst
- Palo Alto, CA
VMware accelerates digital transformation through a software-defined approach to business and IT. The trusted platform provider of choice for more than 500,000 customers globally, VMware is the pioneer in virtualization and an innovator in cloud and business mobility. A proven leader, VMware allows customers to run, manage, connect and secure applications across clouds and devices in a common operating environment.
Our team of 20,000+ people working in 50+ locations worldwide is committed to building a community where great people want to work long term by living our values of passion, innovation, execution, teamwork, active learning and giving back. If you are ready to accelerate, innovate and lead, join us as we challenge constraints and problem solve for tomorrow today.
Job Role and Responsibilities:
The individual will develop competitive intelligence, critical insights, and recommendations to positively influence strategic decisions with VMware's executive team and key business stakeholders.
- Build in-depth studies analyzing top competitors (e.g. Microsoft, Cisco) and assess strategic, go-to-market, and technological gaps.
- Compare and contrast VMware vs the competition in order to provide impact assessments and recommendations to improve VMware's position in the market.
- Create actionable, strategic intelligence by assembling disparate slices of data from multiple sources and adding in-depth analysis.
- Design and conduct analyses and synthesize conclusions into implications for the Executive Team, VMware's Business Units, Corporate Marketing, Product Management, Product Marketing, Field Sales and other VMware audiences
- Track major competitive announcements and earnings to proactively build awareness of key competitor moves (e.g. AWS shift toward distributed cloud model)
- Self-starter with a bias for action and results orientation. Able to prioritize, focus, and execute through obstacles.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills. Ability to summarize and present business issues in a concise and professional manner.
- Ability to collaborate within a small team environment.
- Innovative thinker with analytical problem-solving skills.
- Ability to integrate data, including corporate financials, from disparate systems and run analyses with Excel, R, or other analytics tools.
- Precision PowerPoint development required, with high attention to detail and format.
- MBA preferred.
- Eagerness to translate high-level business objectives into actions
- Excellent communications skills, with the ability to synthesize, simplify and explain complex problems to different types of audience, including executives
- Experience in Software, Cloud, or Infrastructure such as Compute, Network, Storage
This job opportunity is not eligible for employment-based immigration sponsorship by VMware.
VMware is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: VMware is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at VMware are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. VMware will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. VMware encourages applicants of all ages. VMware will provide reasonable accommodation to employees who have protected disabilities consistent with local law.
Back to top