Cloud Management Technologist
- Houston, TX
VMware is seeking a Senior Technologist for its Cloud Management Business Unit (CMBU), which is a $2+ billion business with over 1000 employees. In this role, you will represent the product group in supporting VMware field sales in AMER teams with critical and strategic accounts. Your charter is to create customer excitement in Cloud Management solutions by delivering the strategic VMware message and vision, while aligning with the customer's business and IT strategy.
The ideal candidate will be big picture / compelling / articulate / strategic / quick-on-your-feet in front of senior level IT customers, with demonstrated skills in building trust and credibility in VMware's vision, and fluent in putting forth a compelling point of view about the latest IT trends.
Candidate must be energetic and skilled in successfully explaining the complete CMBU portfolio and product strategy. A deep understanding of the wider VMware portfolio will ensure compelling solutions to drive larger deals. This is a high visibility position where you will provide feedback to CMBU Marketing and Product Management on field and customer perspectives.
A new element of this role in 2020 is providing "thought leadership" which involves the development and curation of blogs and similar thought pieces that promote existing and new customers' perception of VMware as an innovator and leading source of information, guidance and action-oriented insights for their strategic initiatives, delivering greater mindshare and wallet-share around CMBU offerings. Example topics are "cloud economics and cloud operating model", "dev-ops and K8s", and "how AI / ML is changing Management tools".
- Be the eyes, ears and voice of the CMBU in AMER
- Be a Subject Matter Expert (SME) for VMware's cloud management solutions and deliver training/presentations to direct sales, customer and partners globally
- Generate public and internal thought leadership content on Cloud Management industry trends.
- Evangelize the Cloud Management BU with executive and technical audiences at VMware events and seminars, industry conferences and customer briefings
- Collaborate with Product Marketing groups in the development of technical sales & support materials
- Collaborate with Product Management groups to bring field insight to the product development process
- Report back to CMBU leadership on trends, field observations and challenges
- Drive awareness and thought leadership using traditional communication tools as well as social media
- Work with cross functional teams and GEOs to ensure sales, enablement and marketing tools are meeting business goals
- Up to 50% travel (or as required)
- 10+ years in Enterprise Software, in the functions of Sales Engineering, Solution Architecture, Technical Account Management, Product Management or Product Marketing
- Excellent understanding of IT management products and technology; virtualization and cloud experience
- Technical degree / experience
- Technologist must live in execution mode with a high degree of passion for the space. It is a very customer facing position and credibility is everything.
- Strong teamwork and interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated success in orchestrating cross-functional teams and setting common agendas
- Confident and compelling public speaker
- Ability to multitask, change priorities rapidly and work under pressure
- Location: either work in VMware office or work from home
VMware is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: VMware is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at VMware are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. VMware will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. VMware encourages applicants of all ages. VMware will provide reasonable accommodation to employees who have protected disabilities consistent with local law.
Back to top