As a Manager in the User Interface group, you are a key influence in the organization and are expected to inspire innovation and provoke change in both culture and technology. The User Interface group develops products that focus on building world class user interface to facilitate adoption of vSphere and dependent solutions. You must be the champion for UI and UX and help the organization adopt new technologies. Your focus will not only be about what we’re building, it will also encompass as to how we’re building it. You will work closely with the Product Management and UX organization and so relationship building is very important. You will need to share your ideas with people at all levels of the organization and bring them along on the journey. As a manager, you will be expected to keep your team motivated, engaged and focused on customer and organizational goals. You have proven software development background with experience in the successful delivery of high quality software. You have experience with agile software development techniques and have worked with geographically dispersed development teams/efforts. You should be highly technical, detail oriented with a focus on implementation excellence as well as significant project management expertise as well as with solid people management skills.
You will participate in ground breaking projects, with the authority and scope to apply your expertise in a fast paced and technically driven environment. You’ll be part of a bright engineering team that has open communication, empowerment, innovation, teamwork, and customer success culture. The user interface manager should have strong self-directed work ethic, and is driven to produce a quality product and user experience, wrapped up in a make it happen mindset.
- Contribute to requirements gathering, architecture, design, and implementation of enterprise class user interface software to power vSphere based offerings. Includes defining the user model and working with UX team to gauge the usability of new and existing products, making constructive suggestions for improvement
- Lead teams of developers to deliver on innovative software projects using proven development processes (Agile/SCRUM).
- Collaborate with stake holders on requirements and respond with fast product delivery by taking smart risks as and when required
- Assist in recruiting great talent for the organization besides mentoring and coaching engineers and seek opportunity to bring in continuous improvements to implement development and unit testing best practices.
- Have experience with front end technologies as well as distributed systems and experience building sleek user interfaces
- Work closely with project team members (architects, Product Management, Functional QA, System Test), and coordinate all aspects of the projects including core vSphere functionality and vSphere based solutions
- Proven ability to handle multiple, complex technical projects and have the flexibility to work in a very dynamic environment. Also create and continuously measure KPI’s for UI and UX
- BS or MS degree in Computer Science / Human Factors Psychology and/or related fields; and minimum of 8+ year’s software development experience (including minimum 4+ years of front end development experience) is required
- Demonstrated ability to influence change and provoke new thinking at all levels of the organization. Work with team members in UX and Product management teams to help define & refine requirements
- Experience leading and managing world-class software development teams and user interface projects through multiple releases in SAAS/IAAS environment.
- Excellent leadership, people management, communication and documentation skills. Should be comfortable presenting to other managers, architects, stake holders, and customers as needed.
- Experience with wide range of backend and front end technologies and their impact on user experience for delivering development projects based on MVC, SaaS, horizontal scalability and high availability across multiple data centers etc.
- Ability to discuss, present, document and provide architectural and technical guidance to a team of highly skilled engineers.
- Collaborate effectively with other development groups and architects inside/outside the existing organization to solve complex problems spanning their respective areas
- Must have strong analytical, diagnostic and problem-solving skills with ability to work independently and with teams be able to prioritize and handle multiple outstanding tasks
- Provide mentorship and lead strong development practices inside the team
- Excellent presentation, interaction and communication skills along with the ability to collaborate effectively across functional organizations.
- Appreciation for good design and an eye for perfection
- Experience with any source control system (Perforce, Git) and/or tools such as Gulp, Maven NPM, jQuery
- Proficiency and experience with VMware and dependent product Suites, and web application technologies in a data center environment is a plus.
- Experience with clustering and distributed systems technologies
- Familiarity with at least one back end programming language
Why work for our Division:
The Software Defined Data Center (SDDC) Suite Business Unit’s goal is to develop engineered suites that are simple for customers to purchase, deploy and operate, and each person in the group is instrumental in accomplishing this mission. Pioneered by VMware and recognized by the industry and analysts alike, SDDC extends the virtualization concepts you know— abstraction, pooling and automation — to all data center resources and services. The teams in the SDDC Suite Business Unit have the unique opportunity to impact each component of SDDC through VMware’s bundle offerings vCloud Suite and vSOM, including compute, storage and availability, network and security, management and hybrid cloud. As a result, the teams have a holistic view of the customers’ complete IT needs and VMware’s overall business strategy.
Why work with our Group:
The Software Defined Data Center (SDDC) Suite Business Unit’s goal is to develop engineered suites that are simple for customers to purchase, deploy and operate, and each person in the group is instrumental in accomplishing this mission. Pioneered by VMware and recognized by the industry and analysts alike, SDDC extends the virtualization concepts you know— abstraction, pooling and automation — to all data center resources and services. Product Managers, Product Marketing Managers and Product Development Engineers in the SDDC Suite Business Unit have the unique opportunity to impact each component of SDDC through VMware’s bundle offerings vCloud Suite and vSOM, including compute, storage and availability, network and security, management and hybrid cloud. As a result, SDDC PM’s PMM’s and Engineers have a holistic view of the customers’ complete IT needs and VMware’s overall business strategy.
Austin, TX, US
VMware is a global leader in cloud infrastructure and business mobility. Built on VMware's industry-leading virtualization technology, our solutions deliver a new model of IT that is fluid, instant and more secure. Customers can innovate faster by rapidly developing, automatically delivering and more safely consuming any application.
With 2015 revenues of $6.6 billion, VMware has more than 500,000 customers, more than 75,000 partners, and 19,000+ employees in 120+ locations around the world. At the core of what we do are our people who deeply value execution, passion, integrity, customers, and community. Do you dare to do the stuff you've always dreamed about? Dare to explore at careers.vmware.com.
VMware is an equal opportunity employer committed to the principles of equal employment opportunity and affirmative action for all applicants and employees. Equal opportunity and consideration are afforded to all qualified applicants and employees in personnel actions, which include: recruiting and hiring, selection for training, promotion, rates of pay or other compensation, transfer, discipline, demotion, layoff or termination. VMware does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, gender identity, gender expression, family medical history or genetic information, citizenship, national origin or ancestry, sex, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, veteran status, military status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local law, ordinance or regulation. VMware also makes reasonable accommodations for disabled employees consistent with applicable law. Further, it is the policy of VMware to maintain a working environment free of all forms of harassment.
Back to top