Staff Engineer_Distributed Storage Systems & Analytics
Enterprises are aspiring to become data-driven -- insights need to be extracted from data assets, and applied towards business differentiation. We are bootstrapping a team to create the next-generation storage platform enabling customers to apply a multitude of analytics on their data in a turnkey fashion. You will be an early member of a capable and collaborative engineering team that aspires to change the current industry trajectory w.r.t. one-size-fits-one solutions. Together, we will design, develop, and deliver innovative project ideas in a fast paced and technically driven environment. We are looking for engineers who have a strong self-directed work ethic and a make it happen mindset.
- Lead & contribute to architecture, design, and implementation of a distributed storage platform that runs a variety of popular analytics models for streaming, batch, and interactive analytics.
- Review and test existing technologies and software components and make recommendations for use and integration.
- Build rapid prototypes and work on fast paced projects
- Provide technical specifications, talks, presentations and white papers for new designs and architectures.
- Collaborate effectively with other staff to solve complex problems.
- Assist with debugging and verification of defects in your own and others' work. Provide mentorship and lead strong development practices inside the team.
- BS/MS in CS from reputable university or equivalent experience
- Solid experience in building a scale-out storage platform is required. Exposure to CorfuDB is a plus.
- Good understanding of popular models for data analytics
- Good understanding of core building blocks like clustering, replication, serialization, availability, is a huge plus
- Exposure to multiple programming languages is essential, as the ability to pick up and use the language that suits a body of work is expected. Outstanding coding skills in one or more of those programming languages.
- Must be capable of researching alternatives and making architectural/design/business decisions independently.
- History of significant contributions to shipped products. Contribution to OSS is huge plus.
Why work with our Group:
VMware’s world-class, award-winning R&D team is comprised of thousands of top-notch computer scientists and software engineers that are transforming computing through virtualization. Members of the R&D team voice their creative ideas and watch them become initiatives, participate in exciting short-term and long-term products on the VMware roadmap, initiate advanced research projects, and/or write and test code that ships. At VMware, our engineers continue to learn and grow by working with top professionals from around the world and recent graduates of top universities and by taking advantage of our extensive internal training opportunities and generous external education assistance program. R&D team members work on the latest computing equipment and have access to the ACM and IEEE libraries. VMware has R&D offices in: Silicon Valley; Burlington, MA; Cambridge, MA; Broomfield, CO; Sofia, Bulgaria; Aarhus, Denmark; London, UK; Herzliya, Israel; Bangalore, India; and Beijing, China.
Why work for our Division:
Why work with our Group:
Cambridge, MA, US
VMware is a global leader in cloud infrastructure and business mobility. Built on VMware's industry-leading virtualization technology, our solutions deliver a new model of IT that is fluid, instant and more secure. Customers can innovate faster by rapidly developing, automatically delivering and more safely consuming any application.
With 2015 revenues of $6.6 billion, VMware has more than 500,000 customers, more than 75,000 partners, and 19,000+ employees in 120+ locations around the world. At the core of what we do are our people who deeply value execution, passion, integrity, customers, and community. Do you dare to do the stuff you've always dreamed about? Dare to explore at careers.vmware.com.
VMware is an equal opportunity employer committed to the principles of equal employment opportunity and affirmative action for all applicants and employees. Equal opportunity and consideration are afforded to all qualified applicants and employees in personnel actions, which include: recruiting and hiring, selection for training, promotion, rates of pay or other compensation, transfer, discipline, demotion, layoff or termination. VMware does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, gender identity, gender expression, family medical history or genetic information, citizenship, national origin or ancestry, sex, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, veteran status, military status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local law, ordinance or regulation. VMware also makes reasonable accommodations for disabled employees consistent with applicable law. Further, it is the policy of VMware to maintain a working environment free of all forms of harassment.
Back to top