Staff Engineer - Distributed Systems
This is an opportunity to join a small team working in startup-mode on to bring next generation devops workloads to the VMWare platform. We’ll be working on providing robust, enterprise grade solutions to allow our customers to run dynamic workloads in the private cloud and allow public cloud bursting as needed. We’ll be building distributed systems that push the boundaries of performance and scale.
- Develop new components in our distributed systems including design, implementation and testing of a component
- Service and debug issues in the distributed system
- Actively engage in design and problem discussions
- A degree in Computer Science, or related fields with at least 7 years of experience developing commercial software
- Deep understanding of distributed systems, problems and algorithms
- Experience in one of Java/C/Ruby/Python. Willingness to learn new languages and adapt to new technologies.
- Ability to write high quality code and the openness to continually improve your coding based on peer review and feedback
- Familiarity with continuous integration software such as Jenkins
- Familiarity with container orchestration systems such as Kubernetes, Mesos and Docker Swarm
- Experience or understanding of open source distributed system services such as Openstack, Zookeeper, etc
- Understanding of multiple configuration management and monitoring systems including Chef, Puppet, Vagrant, Jenkins, etc would be especially beneficial
- Experience using hypervisors, especially VMware ESX or KVM or Xen
- Experience collaborating with developers using systems such as Git, Gerrit, Jenkins etc.
Why work for our Division:
Why work with our Group:
Seattle, WA, US
VMware is a global leader in cloud infrastructure and business mobility. Built on VMware's industry-leading virtualization technology, our solutions deliver a new model of IT that is fluid, instant and more secure. Customers can innovate faster by rapidly developing, automatically delivering and more safely consuming any application.
With 2015 revenues of $6.6 billion, VMware has more than 500,000 customers, more than 75,000 partners, and 19,000+ employees in 120+ locations around the world. At the core of what we do are our people who deeply value execution, passion, integrity, customers, and community. Do you dare to do the stuff you've always dreamed about? Dare to explore at careers.vmware.com.
VMware is an equal opportunity employer committed to the principles of equal employment opportunity and affirmative action for all applicants and employees. Equal opportunity and consideration are afforded to all qualified applicants and employees in personnel actions, which include: recruiting and hiring, selection for training, promotion, rates of pay or other compensation, transfer, discipline, demotion, layoff or termination. VMware does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, gender identity, gender expression, family medical history or genetic information, citizenship, national origin or ancestry, sex, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, veteran status, military status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local law, ordinance or regulation. VMware also makes reasonable accommodations for disabled employees consistent with applicable law. Further, it is the policy of VMware to maintain a working environment free of all forms of harassment.
Back to top