Sr. Consultant, DevOps
We provide strategy and implementation services that enable our enterprise clients to achieve substantial cost reduction and business agility benefits through the use of DevOps and continuous delivery processes. The Full Stack Software Engineer is responsible for technical leadership and delivery in our CD and DevOps consulting engagements. The engineer assists in the development of enterprise DevOps strategies, applying Agile and DevOps techniques to applications and infrastructure and leads parts of all of the automated application build and deployment process. Engineers must have strong problem solving abilities, must be able to work both at high and low levels of detail, have excellent communication skills and have experience successfully leading implementation teams.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Work with the IT Development and other IT team members to refine and clarify requirements for development process automation.
- Ability to work closely with developers, test automation and performance specialists, release management and infrastructure specialists on defining and improving source control, branching and merge strategies
- Supports development of process automation initiatives and projects.
- Use appropriate technologies such as Puppet, Chef, Jenkins, etc. to perform build and deployment management
- Maintain expertise in the area of architecture, including industry trends, strategies, and products.
- Execute Proof of Concepts on behalf of configuration management, CI/CD (continuous integration / continuous deployment) practice, assessing new products and methods, developing and implementing appropriate practices across multiple development environments.
- Continuously evaluate and recommend improvement to CI/CD processes
- Design, document and help optimize the CI/CD strategies in order to reduce costs while ensuring quality.
- Effectively develop and communicate technical solutions to unique client issues.
- Identify opportunities for new business and current client expansion.
- BA/BS degree in engineering, computer science or related field or equivalent education and experience.
- Proven track record with a minimum of 5 years software/computer engineering experience.
- At least 6 months of structured software development experience, preferably with current languages like Python, Ruby or Java and preferably using Agile software development methods.
- Flexible, continuous learner and knowledge sharer, excellent communicator, works well in team environment, appreciates challenge, comfortable and effective working in new areas that require experimentation and rapid problem solving.
- Available and willing to travel 50%.
- This position may be located anywhere in the continental United States and does not require relocation.
- Experience with software development life cycle
- A year or more of experience architecting and building solutions leveraging DevOps tools such as Puppet, Chef and Jenkins, Git, etc.
- Experience with Puppet (open source and Enterprise) implementation and configuration, including module development, continuous testing, best practices.
- Experience with Chef (open source and Enterprise) implementation and configuration, including cookbook development, continuous testing, best practices.
- Interest in being involved in the DevOps tools community (contributing, writing, etc.)
Ideal Candidate will sit in a major city within the central time zone by a major airport. Austin, San Antonio, Dallas, Houston, Chicago, Kansas City, TX, OK, KS, NE, MO, IL, MN, WI or AR
Why work for our Division:
The global VMware Professional Services Organization (PSO) influences the success of each VMware implementation. The PSO team is dedicated to the success of the customer and their virtualization strategy and implementation. The PSO team ensures that VMware customers are successfully implementing their business plans from adoption all the way to a fully functioning virtualized datacenter. The VMware PSO team includes Implementation/Managed Services, Project/Engagement Management, Education Services, Partner Management and Technical Account Management (TAM) Services.
Why work with our Group:
As a VMware Consultant, you will lead the largest brand companies on the planet in the transformation of their IT services business. You will help to develop strategy, discover key business, technical, functional, and operational requirements and then design enterprise class architectures that when deployed will provide those customers with fully automated and integrated Iaas, Paas, Saas and ITaas solutions. VMware Consulting Services is a high growth, high challenge, high reward work environment where your personal and professional opportunities have no boundaries or limits and your creativity, energy, and passion are leveraged every day and every week to deliver extremely high value to these very special customers.
- Austin, TX, US
VMware is a global leader in cloud infrastructure and business mobility. Built on VMware's industry-leading virtualization technology, our solutions deliver a new model of IT that is fluid, instant and more secure. Customers can innovate faster by rapidly developing, automatically delivering and more safely consuming any application.
With 2015 revenues of $6.6 billion, VMware has more than 500,000 customers, more than 75,000 partners, and 19,000+ employees in 120+ locations around the world. At the core of what we do are our people who deeply value execution, passion, integrity, customers, and community. Do you dare to do the stuff you've always dreamed about? Dare to explore at careers.vmware.com.
VMware is an equal opportunity employer committed to the principles of equal employment opportunity and affirmative action for all applicants and employees. Equal opportunity and consideration are afforded to all qualified applicants and employees in personnel actions, which include: recruiting and hiring, selection for training, promotion, rates of pay or other compensation, transfer, discipline, demotion, layoff or termination. VMware does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, gender identity, gender expression, family medical history or genetic information, citizenship, national origin or ancestry, sex, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, veteran status, military status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local law, ordinance or regulation. VMware also makes reasonable accommodations for disabled employees consistent with applicable law. Further, it is the policy of VMware to maintain a working environment free of all forms of harassment.
Back to top