Senior Manager; Photon Platform - Cloud Native Apps
We are seeking a Sr R&D Manager for the Photon Platform team that is responsible for the Photon Controller stack. The Photon Platform is a next generation container optimized high performance IaaS that delivers VMware award winning technologies: ESX, NSX and VSAN for Cloud Native Workloads. Photon Platform deploys to bare metal infrastructure and provides an OpenStack comparable IaaS platform while also supporting multiple cloud and container frameworks such as Kubernetes, Docker/Swarm and Mesos. Photon is a hugely strategic and transformational high profile initiative in VMware. The ideal candidate is a technical rockstar with strong leadership ability
- Manage a 10 person strong highly technical R&D team located in Bellevue WA
- Manage and grow a first-class team developers to work on feature development as well as patch and maintenance releases.
- Organize major and minor product releases, ensuring that projects and programs are performed on-time, and with high quality.
- Work closely with engineering management, lead engineers to predictably and consistently ship enterprise caliber software.
- You will be responsible for hiring, retention, and career development of the software developers in your team.
- You will coach and motivate your team to ensure high productivity, great collaboration and teamwork, and help each individual achieve his/her maximum potential.
Since VMware is a rapidly growing company, there will also be ample opportunity for learning and professional development.
- 3-5 years of experience in managing software projects with at least 10 + years overall experience in the software industry.
- Must have had hands-on experience in the design and development of IaaS platforms such as OpenStack, AWS and/or GCE
- Must have a deep understanding of modern cloud orchestration and management systems such as Docker/Swarm, Mesos and Kubernetes
- Ability to work with minimal supervision to complete tasks.
- Proven ability to deliver commercial quality software in an agile fashion
- Creation, execution and revision of project work plans and schedules.
- Excellent teamwork, leadership, cross-functional and strong people management skills.
- Degree Computer Science or Engineering or equivalent. Master's desirable.
Technical Requirements (some or all)
- BS/MS/PhD in Computer Science (or equivalent)
- In depth understanding of one or more IaaS platforms such as OpenStack, AWS, Azure. The ability to go deep into the internals is critical. The right candidate is a subject matter expert in one or more of these areas
- In depth understanding of one or more Cloud Platforms: Docker/Swarm, Kubernetes, Mesos. The ability to go deep into the internals is critical. The right candidate is a subject matter expert in one or more of these area
- In depth understanding of the Docker container architecture - a deep understanding of Linux kernel artifacts for containers - namespaces and resource groups
- Strong understanding of the Linux kernel internals
- Has shipped several enterprise class software platforms and is deeply familiar with the software development lifecycle
Why work for our Division:
The Cloud Native Applications BU is probably the most strategic and transformational initiatives in VMware and the Photon Platform is its flagship offering. It is VMware's answer to helping accelerate our install base in their digital transformation journey. It will knit together VMware's best-of-class offerings in compute, network and storage and present them as the best of class platform to run next generation cloud native workloads.
Are you interested in being part of an employee community that is once again defining what's next in IT?
The great people that make up VMware continue to be relentlessly curious with a bias towards disruptive thinking. If this sounds like a place for you, come join us and help us define what's next!
Why work for our Division:
VMware’s world-class, award-winning R&D team is comprised of thousands of top-notch computer scientists and software engineers that are transforming computing through virtualization. Members of the R&D team voice their creative ideas and watch them become initiatives, participate in exciting short-term and long-term products on the VMware roadmap, initiate advanced research projects, and/or write and test code that ships. At VMware, our engineers continue to learn and grow by working with top professionals from around the world and recent graduates of top universities and by taking advantage of our extensive internal training opportunities and generous external education assistance program. R&D team members work on the latest computing equipment and have access to the ACM and IEEE libraries. VMware has R&D offices in: Silicon Valley; Burlington, MA; Cambridge, MA; Broomfield, CO; Sofia, Bulgaria; Aarhus, Denmark; London, UK; Herzliya, Israel; Bangalore, India; and Beijing, China.
Why work with our Group:
Bellevue, WA, US
VMware is a global leader in cloud infrastructure and business mobility. Built on VMware's industry-leading virtualization technology, our solutions deliver a new model of IT that is fluid, instant and more secure. Customers can innovate faster by rapidly developing, automatically delivering and more safely consuming any application.
With 2015 revenues of $6.6 billion, VMware has more than 500,000 customers, more than 75,000 partners, and 19,000+ employees in 120+ locations around the world. At the core of what we do are our people who deeply value execution, passion, integrity, customers, and community. Do you dare to do the stuff you've always dreamed about? Dare to explore at careers.vmware.com.
VMware is an equal opportunity employer committed to the principles of equal employment opportunity and affirmative action for all applicants and employees. Equal opportunity and consideration are afforded to all qualified applicants and employees in personnel actions, which include: recruiting and hiring, selection for training, promotion, rates of pay or other compensation, transfer, discipline, demotion, layoff or termination. VMware does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, gender identity, gender expression, family medical history or genetic information, citizenship, national origin or ancestry, sex, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, veteran status, military status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local law, ordinance or regulation. VMware also makes reasonable accommodations for disabled employees consistent with applicable law. Further, it is the policy of VMware to maintain a working environment free of all forms of harassment.
Back to top