Senior Manager, Software Engineering
VIZIO, Inc., headquartered in Irvine, California, is America's #1 Smart TV and Sound Bar Company. VIZIO's mission is to be the industry leader in Consumer Electronics by consistently delivering the latest technologies at the most affordable price. VIZIO's brand promise is to deliver innovative, premium-quality consumer electronics with an unwavering focus on the needs of our consumers. Our Seattle office is a fast paced, highly collaborative start up like environment that primarily focuses on VIZIO's SmartCast product line.
The primary responsibility of the Senior Manager, Software Engineering is to provide hands-on leadership for a full-stack development team. This includes building and enhancing products and systems in our service-oriented, highly scalable, hybrid datacenter/cloud environment. As a people manager, you will understand how to remove roadblocks and provide an environment where each of your individual contributors can maximize their productivity. Your technical ability and high emotional intelligence will allow you to earn the respect from other engineers.
- Manage a small team of individual contributor software engineers
- Perform regular 1-1s with your reports, helping them to resolve issues, improve their skills, grow their careers, and overall make them as productive as possible
- Provide direct reports with ongoing performance feedback and complete official performance reviews as outlined by HR department
- Serve as an architect, technical lead, mentor, and subject matter expert for the engineering team
- Owner for several large components or infrastructure items and responsibility for maintaining high availability in a 24x7 service.
- Work with Engineering Team, Senior Leadership, Program Management, Product Management, and Operations to deliver agreed upon goals and meet deadlines
- Be proactive in proposing solutions to improve our engineering process, architecture, codebase, and reliability of our software solutions.
- Spend a considerable portion of your time developing software yourself: designing, writing, and testing code.
- Strong advocate for high code quality, test coverage, maintainability, and reliability,
- Play a key role in the hiring process by screening, and interviewing candidates.
- Serve as a professional example for others to follow by being diplomatic, pragmatic, and respectful when dealing with internal and external contacts.
Desired skills and experience:
- 8+ years' experience as a people manager with at least 3 years managing software engineers
- Expert ability to write code and debug large existing codebases
- Highly proficient with one or more strongly typed language (C#, Java, etc.)
- Strong experience with Windows
- Strong understanding of source code version control systems, Git, Github, and code branching/merging strategies
- Deep understanding of data structures and algorithms
- Very strong OOP skills with ability to evaluate code designs with respect to maintainability
- Deep understanding of web technologies, HHTP protocol, ASP.NET
- Strong understanding of relational databases
- Experience building highly scalable, high-performance distributed systems.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, and ability to write thorough software design specification documents.
- Ability to work autonomously, with minimal supervision from manager, to achieve engineering goals
- Extensive experience interviewing software engineer candidates
Nice to have:
- Strong experience with C# and .NET
- Experience with NOSQL databases such as MongoDB
- Experience with Microsoft SQL Server
- Experience with micro-services architecture
- Experience with Linux systems
- Experience with TDD or BDD
- Experience with Jira and Confluence
- Experience with AWS, Docker, Kubernetes, Artifactory, Jenkins, Puppet
- Experience working in a fast-paced startup-like environment
VIZIO Services, LLC, a subsidiary of VIZIO, Inc. offers excellent career opportunity as well as a competitive compensation and benefits package. We are an equal opportunity, drug-free employer committed to diversity in the workplace. Minority/Female/Disabled/Protected Veteran
Back to top