VIZIO, Inc., headquartered in Irvine, California, is America’s fastest-growing HDTV and consumer electronics company and is revolutionizing how we watch, listen … and live! We are currently seeking a Patent Counsel at our Irvine, CA headquarters.
This individual should have 4 – 6 years of patent litigation and prosecution experience with relevant industry background. Candidates should also have solid background and experience with negotiating, drafting and advising on a variety of complex commercial and licensing transactions with an emphasis in the consumer electronics sector. In-house experience preferred.
There is potential for expansion of duties and greater responsibilities as well as the opportunity to make a significant impact on continued growth of the legal department at VIZIO as the department ramps up to meet the demands for VIZIO’s rapidly expanding business. The attorney will work closely with the members of the in-house legal team, outside counsel, and multiple client groups/functional departments at all levels of the company.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
This individual must be able to support the litigation docket such as the ability to manage (reviewing and drafting) routine motions, discovery responses, and assist in document production, technology review, negotiation and licensing. The attorney will also be responsible for providing legal support in the post-execution/implementation phase of various transactions. In addition, he/she may have the opportunity to independently assist in the processing of the company’s higher volume, more routine contracts, such as non-disclosure/confidentiality agreements, license agreements and marketing agreements. Like all attorneys at all levels at VIZIO, you must be willing to pitch in wherever necessary to assist the legal team in meeting the company goals.
This is an extremely collaborative work environment and you will need to partner effectively with VIZIO’s product, engineering and business teams and other key stakeholders, including the R&D and finance groups, to obtain necessary information, conduct legal analysis, provide strategic advice, and ensure that all interests of the affected business units are appropriately represented in the applicable legal contract.
- Excellent written, oral and negotiation communication skills
- Service-orientation and commitment to professionalism
- Sense of humor and strong interpersonal skills including maturity, creativity and a high energy level
- Team-oriented and able to interact effectively and influence peers and all levels of management
- Ability to work well in a very fast-paced and dynamic environment, as well as in a small team environment and become a productive and positive member of the Legal department
- JD from an ABA accredited law school with solid academic credentials and California bar member (or qualified to register as in house counsel)
- BS and/or MS degree
- 4 – 6 years of experience (solid in-house experience strongly preferred)
- Solid experience in IP litigation
- Strong technology licensing knowledge and experience
- Able to manage and drive issues and projects cross-functionally across departments
- Able to handle multiple matters simultaneously and prioritize effectively
- Evaluate issues from legal and business perspectives with a practical, business-oriented approach to problem solving
VIZIO, Inc. offers excellent career opportunity as well as a competitive compensation and benefits package. We are an equal opportunity, drug-free employer committed to diversity in the workplace. Minority/Female/Disabled/Protected Veteran
Meet Some of VIZIO's Employees
Software & Services Media Manager
Rachel oversees VIZIO’s BuddyTV website to deliver engaging content to customers and fans who are interested in all things television. She also directs social media and content creation.
Back to top