Headquartered in Irvine, California, VIZIO is a leading HDTV brand in America and America's #1 Sound Bar company. Our mission is to deliver high performance, smarter products and services with the latest innovations at the best value for our consumers. Our loyal following and industry-wide praise continues to grow as we redefine what it means to be smart. We are currently seeking a Patent Counsel at our Irvine, CA headquarters.
We are currently seeking a Patent Counsel. This individual should have 5 – 7 years of patent litigation and licensing experience with relevant industry background. Candidates should also have solid background and experience with negotiating, drafting and advising on a variety of complex commercial and licensing transactions with an emphasis in the consumer electronics sector. In-house and/or patent prosecution experience is also helpful.
There is potential for expansion of duties and greater responsibilities as well as the opportunity to make a significant impact on the continued growth of the legal department at VIZIO as the department ramps up to meet the demands for VIZIO's rapidly expanding business. The attorney will work closely with the members of the in-house legal team, outside counsel, and multiple client groups/functional departments at all levels of the company.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- This individual must be able to support the patent litigation docket such as the ability to manage (reviewing and drafting) routine motions, discovery responses, and assist in document production, technology review, negotiation, and licensing.
- The attorney will also be responsible for providing legal support in the post-execution/implementation phase of various transactions.
- In addition, he/she may have the opportunity to independently assist in the processing of the company's higher volume, more routine contracts, such as license agreements, marketing agreements, and non-disclosure/confidentiality agreements. Like all attorneys at all levels at VIZIO, this individual must be willing to pitch in wherever necessary to assist the legal team in meeting the company's goals.
- VIZIO is an extremely collaborative work environment and this individual will need to partner effectively with VIZIO's product, software, engineering, and business teams and other key stakeholders, such as the R&D and finance groups, to obtain necessary information, conduct legal analysis, provide strategic advice, and ensure that all interests of the affected business units are appropriately represented in the applicable legal contract.
- Minimum Education required: BS and JD
- Minimum Experience required: 5 years
- JD from an ABA accredited law school with solid academic credentials and California bar member (or qualified to register as in house counsel)
- Bachelor's degree or higher in electrical engineering, computer science, or similar field
- 5 – 7 years of experience (in-house experience in the consumer electronics industry preferred)
- Solid experience in patent litigation
- Strong technology licensing knowledge and experience
- Able to handle and prioritize multiple matters simultaneously
- Evaluate issues from legal and business perspectives with a practical, business-oriented approach to problem solving
- Excellent written, oral and negotiation communication skills
- Service-orientation and commitment to professionalism
- Sense of humor and strong interpersonal skills including maturity, creativity and a high energy level
- Team-oriented and able to interact effectively and influence peers and all levels of management
- Ability to work well in a very fast-paced and dynamic environment, as well as in a small team environment and become a productive and positive member of the Legal department
VIZIO, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regards to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable law, and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
We do not accept unsolicited agency resumes. We will not pay fees to any third party agency, outside recruiter or firm without a mutually agreed-upon contract and will not be responsible for any agency fees associated with unsolicited resumes. Unsolicited resumes will be considered our property and will be processed accordingly.
VIZIO, Inc. reserves the right to change or modify the employee's job description whether orally or in writing, at any time during the employment relationship. VIZIO, Inc. may require an employee to perform duties outside his/her normal description.
Meet Some of VIZIO's Employees
Crystal S.Associate Market Insight Manager
Crystal works to understand industry trends and risks, then prepares easy-to-understand reports to distribute across the company so that everyone is aware of potential strengths and weaknesses.
Back to top