Director, Software Engineering
- Seattle, WA
Come manage the Web Development team responsible for delivering VIZIO's SmartTV user experience! VIZIO is one of the largest TV manufacturers in the country and our SmartCast Software allows users to browse, search and discovers content from dozens of the biggest streaming providers. The primary responsibility of the Software Engineering Manager is to provide hands-on leadership for the SmartCastTV front-end web development team. As a people manager, you will understand how to remove roadblocks and provide an environment where each of your individual contributors can maximize their productivity. Your technical ability and high emotional intelligence will allow you to earn the respect from other engineers.
The right person for this role will have a strong understanding of the web stack to create performance-minded features. They will deal well with ambiguity and can work with the right people and utilize the right resources to still deliver a viable product. As a manager, you will work with the team to help the team grow, set the right patterns to be used, and lead by example.
- Manage a team of individual contributor software engineers and leads
- Perform regular 1-1s with your reports, helping them to resolve issues, improve their skills, grow their careers, and overall make them as productive as possible
- Provide direct reports with ongoing performance feedback and complete official performance reviews as outlined by HR department
- Serve as an architect, technical lead, mentor, and subject matter expert for the engineering team
- Owner for several large components or infrastructure items and responsibility for maintaining high availability in a 24x7 service.
- Work with Engineering Team, Senior Leadership, Program Management, Product Management, and Operations to deliver agreed upon goals and meet deadlines
- Be proactive in proposing solutions to improve our engineering process, architecture, codebase, and reliability of our software solutions.
- Spend a portion of your time developing software yourself: designing, writing, and testing code.
- Strong advocate for high code quality, test coverage, maintainability, and reliability,
- Play a key role in the hiring process by screening, and interviewing candidates.
- Serve as a professional example for others to follow by being diplomatic, pragmatic, and respectful when dealing with internal and external contacts.
Desired skills and experience:
- 10+ years experience with software engineering
- 8+ years' experience as a people manager
- 3+ years managing software engineering teams of 5+ people
- Expert ability to write code and debug large existing codebases
- Experience building single-page web apps utilizing modern technologies such as Service Workers, Web Workers, and IndexedDB.
- Strong experience with one or more strongly typed language (C#, Java, etc.)
- Strong understanding of source code version control systems, Git, Github, and code branching/merging strategies
- Deep understanding of data structures and algorithms
- Strong engineering design patterns to promote loosely coupled systems
- Very strong OOP skills with ability to evaluate code designs with respect to maintainability
- Deep understanding of web technologies, HTTP protocol
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, and ability to write thorough software design specification documents.
- Ability to work autonomously, with minimal supervision from manager, to achieve engineering goals
- Extensive experience interviewing software engineer candidates
Nice to have:
- Strong experience with VueJS framework
- Experience maintaining a live 24/7 software system
- Experience building highly scalable systems.
- Understanding of relational databases and document databases
- Experience with TDD or BDD
- Experience with Jira and Confluence
- Experience working in a fast-paced startup-like environment
Back to top