Sr. Software Engineer
As the world’s leader in digital payments technology, Visa’s mission is to connect the world through the most creative, reliable and secure payment network - enabling individuals, businesses, and economies to thrive. Our advanced global processing network, VisaNet, provides secure and reliable payments around the world, and is capable of handling more than 65,000 transaction messages a second. The company’s dedication to innovation drives the rapid growth of connected commerce on any device, and fuels the dream of a cashless future for everyone, everywhere. As the world moves from analog to digital, Visa is applying our brand, products, people, network and scale to reshape the future of commerce.
At Visa, your individuality fits right in. Working here gives you an opportunity to impact the world, invest in your career growth, and be part of an inclusive and diverse workplace. We are a global team of disruptors, trailblazers, innovators and risk-takers who are helping drive economic growth in even the most remote parts of the world, creatively moving the industry forward, and doing meaningful work that brings financial literacy and digital commerce to millions of unbanked and underserved consumers.
You’re an Individual. We’re the team for you. Together, let’s transform the way the world pays.
For Visa to deliver on the vision of the best way to pay and be paid for everyone, everywhere, the Operations & Infrastructure (O&I) group must provide best-in-class infrastructure services that are secure, scalable, continuously available, and run on software-defined infrastructures. The O&I group offers an exciting opportunity to work on latest technologies where the industry is going through major innovations such as cloud computing. In essence, Infrastructure as Code. As a Sr. Software Engineer in O&I, you will have an opportunity to play a key role in application life cycle. For example, building infrastructure which includes compute, storage, database and middleware, tuning environment per application need, monitoring components, compliance checks and security remediation, etc.
The Middleware Engineering & Operations provides end-to-end design, build and support services for the Web and Middle-tier platforms, which comes under PaaS (Platform as a Service). For Visa to deliver on the vision of the best way to pay and be paid for everyone, everywhere, this group must provide best-in-class platform services that are secure, scalable, and continuously available. Selected candidate would work alongside other Middleware engineers and technical team members, to design, develop, support, and enhance internal and external facing applications built on top of various Middleware and Integration platforms e.g. Tomcat, Apache, WebSphere MQ, Kafka, IBM DataPower, and Connect Direct.
We are looking for a smart, capable Sr. Software Engineer who will be working in the Middleware Engineering & Operations group managing Web & Application tier of middleware products. You will be primarily responsible for developing distributed system solutions, providing expertise in Kafka brokers, zookeepers, Kafka connect, schema registry, KSQL, Rest proxy. Ensure optimum performance, high availability and stability of solutions. You will work closely with development partners, engineering, and operation teams who jointly work on key deliverables ensuring production scalability and stability. As an experienced engineer, you will develop and enhance platform best practices to ensure the Kafka platforms can effectively meet performance & SLA requirements. You will also be responsible for overseeing end-to-end agile design, scoping, implementation, and work closely with the development and Service design teams to deliver and resolve issues for Middleware Components stack. It would be best if you had experience working in large-scale data environments, which included real-time and batch processing requirements. Applicant should also have an excellent foundational knowledge of web/App tier (Tomcat/JAVA/Httpd, etc.), and comfortable implementing Security, compliance industry standards and best practices.
- 2 years of work experience with a Bachelor’s Degree or an Advanced Degree (e.g. Masters, MBA, JD, MD, or PhD)
- 3 or more years of work experience or more than 2 years of work experience with an Advanced Degree (e.g. Masters, MBA, JD, MD)
- Experience with one or more testing frameworks, including but not limited to TestNG, Cucumber, JUnit, or NUnit
- Experience building and testing applications, RESTful services, or microservices on a modern technology stack
- Passion for high quality software design and engineering
- Strong Unix skills, proficient with at least one shell and one high-level scripting language (bash, Python, Ruby)
- Ability to work well within a globally distributed team, in a high performance organization
- Familiarity with relational database design and implementation
- Familiarity with Jenkins, git, or other source control and CI/CD technologies
- Good to have experience in sizing, implementing, optimizing, and resolving Kafka clusters (Broker, ZooKeeper, Schema Registry, and Kconnect) and Producer/Consumer API tune-up
- Familiarity with optimizing Topics with Partition and Replication Factor, Managing ACL’s for Topics, Management of Kafka Cluster.
- Should be experienced in Linux/Unix OS Services, Administration
- Good to have experience with Container technology (Docker/ Kubernetes)
- Should be experienced with Kerberos/SSL Security setup/install knowledge
- Good to have experience with other Big Data products
- Excellent verbal and written communication ability
Some of the things you may work on as a Sr. Systems Engineer in O&I include:
- Work in a fast paced environment while ensuring the uptime of VISA's products to customers
- Participate in designing innovative solutions for highly secure and available environments deployed on Tomcat, Apache, WebSphere MQ, Kafka, Connect Direct, Datapower and the like.
- Work with other partners in the organization such as support, development, and user groups to manage requests from the perspective of platform design, build and support.
- Work with vendors for problem resolution.
- Lead problem resolution and improvement efforts
- Drive constant interaction with developers, architects, and project managers
- Monitor system health and performance
- Able to work effectively as part of a highly collaborative team while independently prioritizing individual daily activities
- Troubleshoot extremely complex and time critical technical incidents on the Middleware and Integration Platforms
Work Hours This position requires the incumbent to be available during core business hours.
Travel Requirements This position requires the incumbent to travel for work less than 10% of the time.
Mental/Physical Requirements This position will be performed in an office setting. The position will require the incumbent to sit and stand at a desk, communicate in person and by telephone, frequently operate standard office equipment, such as telephones and computers, reach with hands and arms, and bend or lift up to 25 pounds.
Visa will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with EEOC guidelines and applicable local law.
Back to top