Strategy and Business Development Lead
Virta is the first company with a clinically-proven treatment to safely and sustainably reverse type 2 diabetes and other chronic metabolic diseases without the use of medications or surgery. Our innovations in nutritional biochemistry, data science and digital tools combined with our clinical expertise are shifting the diabetes treatment paradigm from management to reversal. Our mission - to reverse type 2 diabetes in 100 million people by 2025.
Virta is seeking a Strategy & Business Development Lead who will spearhead strategy initiatives, partnership deal-making, and alliance management. This leader’s strategy responsibilities will range from Commercial, to Product, to Operations and include (but certainly not be limited to) projects such as new-program strategy and ex-US strategy. Business development responsibilities will also bridge across functions, including (but again, not limited to) partnerships for go-to-market efforts, product integrations, and product sourcing.
This person will report to VIrta’s Head of Commercial & Policy, who will work with this person and the members of Virta’s Senior Management Team (SMT) to determine project priorities for this role. This is a leadership role with growth potential within the organization. It is initially an individual-contributor role (albeit highly cross-functional), with the potential to build a small team over time.
- Experience leading strategic initiatives in a small-company setting
- Masters of Business Administration (MBA)
- Proven, strong project-management skills in a business setting
- Revenue expansion/diversification strategies (e.g., new disease programs, new countries, etc.)
- Competitive strategies (e.g., maintain Virta’s Competitive Intelligence function, and recommend linked competitive strategies/tactics to Commercial, Product, etc.)
- Operational efficiency/effectiveness strategies (e.g., multi-sourcing of critical product components such as scales, BG/ketone meters, etc.)
- Work cross functionally to define, and in some cases, assist department leads with operationalizing, new strategies
- Areas of strategic responsibility likely to include:
- Business Development/Partnerships
- Lead negotiation of favorable contractual partnership deals in areas such as:
- Go-to-market (e.g., brokers, platform providers)
- Operational (e.g., labs providers)
- Product/program (e.g., device suppliers, app integration partners)
- Play a key role (deal-dependent) on implementation of partnership operations (i.e., oversee Virta cross-functional activities as product integration with an employer platform partner is planned and executed)
- Alliance Management
- Oversee fulfillment of contractual terms and provision of long-term value to Virta, of partnerships developed in “Deal-making” above (in partnership with other Virta functions who will also be working with these partners)
- Lead periodic alliance management meetings with key partnership, to oversee contractual fulfillment of obligations and enhance strategic value of partnerships
Virta’s company values drive our culture, so you’ll do well if:
- You put people first and take care of yourself, your peers, and our patients equally
- You have a strong sense of ownership and take initiative while empowering others to do the same
- You prioritize positive impact over busy work
- You have no ego and understand that everyone has something to bring to the table regardless of experience
- You appreciate transparency and promote trust and empowerment through open access of information
- You are evidence-based and prioritize data and science over seniority or dogma
- You take risks and rapidly iterate
Meet Some of Virta's Employees
Bryce works as a full-stack engineer on the Internal Tools Team, building software to help Virta’s clinicians and health coaches effectively treat patients. Outside of his team, he's helped build Virta culture by developing processes around interviewing and by organizing internal hackathons.
Back to top