Software Engineer, React Native (Android)
Virta is an online specialty medical clinic that reverses type 2 diabetes safely and sustainably without the risks, costs, or side effects of medications or surgery. Our innovations in nutritional biochemistry, data science and digital tools combined with our clinical expertise are shifting the diabetes treatment paradigm from management to reversal. Our mission: reverse type 2 diabetes in 100 million people by 2025.
As our first Mobile Engineer for Android, you will be the founding author of our Android app, the interface through which a large portion of our patient population will interact with their health coaches and doctors on a daily basis. You will also have the challenge and opportunity to work with an emerging technology (React Native) in a greenfield environment, helping to lay the critical groundwork for future development.
- 1+ years of experience shipping Android production code in high quality applications
- React Native experience
- Attention to detail, carefully crafting both tests and code
- Excitement for learning new technologies
- A passion toward improving the health of millions of people
- The ability to thrive in a fast-growing startup environment
- Bonus points for:
- Experience with API design and implementation
- Experience setting up development environments from scratch
- Act as subject matter expert for mobile development
- Code and ship complex new mobile features and apps at high velocity and high quality with well-structured code
- Troubleshoot debug, and fix issues in production and non-production environments
- Coach and mentor peer engineers to become great developers and recommend best practices and tools.
- Work with server engineers to design API specs
Within your first 90 days at Virta, we expect you will do the following:
- Set up the development environment and testing frameworks for our React Native Android app
- Teach and inspire other engineering team members through knowledge sharing, pair programming, and/or giving feedback during code reviews
- Propose and implement one or more process improvements to make our engineering team even better
Virta’s company values drive our culture, so you’ll do well if:
- You put people first and take care of yourself, your peers, and our patients equally
- You have a strong sense of ownership and take initiative while empowering others to do the same
- You prioritize positive impact over busy work
- You have no ego and understand that everyone has something to bring to the table regardless of experience
- You appreciate transparency and promote trust and empowerment through open access of information
- You are evidence-based and prioritize data and science over seniority or dogma
- You take risks and rapidly iterate
Meet Some of Virta's Employees
Bryce works as a full-stack engineer on the Internal Tools Team, building software to help Virta’s clinicians and health coaches effectively treat patients. Outside of his team, he's helped build Virta culture by developing processes around interviewing and by organizing internal hackathons.
Back to top