Software Engineer, Data and Machine Learning
Virta is the first company with a clinically-proven treatment to safely and sustainably reverse type 2 diabetes and other chronic metabolic diseases without the use of medications or surgery. Our innovations in nutritional biochemistry, data science and digital tools combined with our clinical expertise are shifting the diabetes treatment paradigm from management to reversal. Our mission - to reverse type 2 diabetes in 100 million people by 2025.
Virta’s clinical interventions, product development, sales, and marketing are entirely data-driven. We’re looking for a talented data engineer to help us move all that data where it’s needed quickly and safely; model our data so we can analyze it efficiently; and work with data scientists and other data engineers to produce novel insights and powerful machine learning systems.
A successful Data Engineer at Virta has the following background:
- 3+ years of machine learning or statistical model implementation experience in production (Python preferred; Scala, Java, go a plus)
- Experience with distributed computing and performance tuning
- Experience with SQL and data querying tools & libraries
Bonus points for:
- Experience with various “Big Data” systems like Spark, Hadoop, BigTable, etc.
- Natural language processing and/or search relevance tuning
- AWS tools like ECS, Fargate, Sagemaker
- Production experience with document-oriented NoSQL data stores like DynamoDB, CouchDB, Couchbase, MongoDB, etc.
- Build flexible, powerful, and cost-effective platforms to develop and productionize Virta machine learning, statistical models, and other resource-intensive analytical systems.
- Collaborate closely with data scientists and engineers to turn ML technology into products.
- Coach and mentor fellow engineers to become great developers and recommend best practices and tools.
Within your first 90 days at Virta, we expect you will do the following:
- Productionize at least one new significant machine learning model
- Teach and inspire other team members through knowledge sharing, pair programming, code reviews, brown-bag sessions, ML instruction, etc.
- Propose and implement one or more process improvements to make our engineering team even better
Virta’s company values drive our culture, so you’ll do well if:
- You put people first and take care of yourself, your peers, and our patients equally
- You have a strong sense of ownership and take initiative while empowering others to do the same
- You prioritize positive impact over busy work
- You have no ego and understand that everyone has something to bring to the table regardless of experience
- You appreciate transparency and promote trust and empowerment through open access of information
- You are evidence-based and prioritize data and science over seniority or dogma
- You take risks and rapidly iterate
Meet Some of Virta's Employees
Bryce works as a full-stack engineer on the Internal Tools Team, building software to help Virta’s clinicians and health coaches effectively treat patients. Outside of his team, he's helped build Virta culture by developing processes around interviewing and by organizing internal hackathons.
Back to top